Michigan Sportsman Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
363 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know birds dont gobble at night but how do you guys hunt on the "after work schedule" I can hunt at about 3pm till dark so How should I set up on them? I had great gobbling this weekend and I know there are several toms there so should I just set up in a field edge and call every 15-20mins??

·
Registered
779 Posts
lately for that time period i have been doing the spot, mild stalk and then call method, of course this only works well if you have a lot of different property options and time to go check on fields

·
Registered
4,249 Posts
Toms WILL gobble in the morning, afternoon, and evening, and late afternoon can be a great time to kill a bird. Try to pattern the birds and move in on them, setting up where they will want to go in the evening. Some people will say that it is unethical to sit and wait for them where they roost, and while it is not my preference, it can be a tactic if nothing else is working.

·
Premium Member
7,741 Posts
If you can get an idea where they might be roosting you might have a good chance when they re-assemble and head back to bed, intercepting them along the way.Kinda risky tho because you can only hunt legally til 8 or so and you may either spook them or worse, have the DNR waiting for you if you wait til dark to come out.

·
Premium Member
7,741 Posts
Sorry Ack,didn't mean to duplicate your response.I was typing as you were posting.

·
Registered
363 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Well I am hunting 3 fields that all corner up to a 50acre woods and there is a brier swail between 2 of the feilds one feild is hay with several islands of woods in the center, the other two are cut corn. I am sitting on the cut corn field edge (the one I have rights too) I see them mostly in the hay feild at night but I can not get close to them or bring them into the cut corn feild on the other side of the woods and swail.

·
Registered
5,071 Posts
I have killed 29 turkeys in my years of hunting. This includes several states. I have never killed a bird off the roost and over 75% of them have come between the hours of 10 and 2. I prefer a morning hunt as it is great time to be in the woods, but I will tell you I have killed more birds after 4:00 PM than before 8:00 AM.

Anyone who tells you that the birds won't gobble in the afternoon and evening has never hunted then. Once the hens go to nest during late morning or early afternoon, the birds get fired up for a while looking for hens. They then give up for a while and start feeding. But trust me, in the late afternoon or evening, they are looking hard to find that girl again and will not only respond to a hen call, but will in many cases run in looking for love, gobbling along the way. They are also less wary of hunters, because there is little pressure then.

In many states, they made it illegal to hunt past 2:00. There is a darn good reason for why they did that. Now is your chance to take advantage of it. Good luck and keep your confidence and it will happen for you, even if they are on the neighbors side of the fence. Whatever you do, don't over call. Make them want to come find you.

·
Registered
2,152 Posts
Two biggest birds I have ever seen killed(called them in for others)were both after 2:00. Boss toms get lonely when mama goes to sit on the nest.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts