Michigan-Sportsman.com banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, I'm glad some of you guys have had good luck so far.... me however, I have had a terrible time seeing deer. I saw two on opening morning but to no avail no shots way too thick... after that I have not seen a deer since... I have change tatics moving slow, stalking my stand locations, being quiet as a mouse but still no deer sightings... We did not have corn this year where we hunt, so I'm thinking that is why we are not seeing them this year. I'm going to keep plugging away at them, but if anyone has an idea on these SW MI deer, I sure would like some help guys. I need to feed the family this year, but I'm scared it may not happen this year.:sad:

·
Registered
48 Posts
I live in Holland, and have had decent luck huting on public land down in Allegan County / Fennville area. I was told last night by another hunter that there are still antlerless permits left for Allegan County (I have yet to check). However, if you are willing to hunt around the Fennville area, I can point you twards some good spots.

·
Registered
324 Posts
I too hunted hard through yesterday morning in SE Michigan. (Hillsdale County) I have not seen the deer numbers this year that I have in the past. Trying to figure out if they are in the breeding phase of the rut and the mature does and bucks are just locked down with each other or if the high pressure from the weekend opener just sent them all into the thick stuff and they have gone mostly nocturnal. The DNR is still claiming 1.7 million deer in the state but if you just read what most guys are saying on here, people aren't seeing the deer numbers like in the past.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I saw 4 Does last night between 4:30 and 6pm in Buchanan. So they're moving....
Have you tried Grunting or calling?

That's what my dad said too, he works in that area alot and seen deer for most of yesterday.... just not out by our neck of the woods... I have grunted and called eariler when the chase phase was going on... I think now it would be a lost cause.. due to the pressure the deer have had put on them over the weekend... I don't know though might give it another try doesn't hurt...:sad:

·
Registered
877 Posts
Found a fresh scrape in the snow while hunting this morning. Needless to say I'll be sitting on this trail in a few hours. The rut was goofy this year.

·
Registered
493 Posts
Pretty sure the mature bucks are on lock down right now. I saw only one 1.5 and one good 3.5 8pt in about 26 hours on stand over the last week. Their definitely held up with their does right now. Tough hunting but you can still catch them looking for their next doe if you're lucky. Hunt close to bedding areas and where you are seeing does.

I wouldn't rule out calling at this point. The bucks will be looking for another doe once they finish breeding. Estrous bleats and tending grunts can still be effective.

·
Registered
7,316 Posts
Niles Hunter, if you dont mind me asking where abouts are you hunting?? I have lived in NIles my whole life out at Barron Lake and have hunted my whole life. I shot two bucks this year and a doe. If I knew the area I could help you, if you want PM me I would be more than willing to help. Let me know, and be careful walking, stalking or anything besides sitting still and letting deer come into your area.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts