Michigan Sportsman Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
3,510 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just saw someone in there orange on a bicycle riding the dirt roads around state land and it made me wonder the legal side of that. I am talking a peddle bike nothing powered with a motor. Would you need to have your gun cased while peddling? Also would you have to get off the bike to shoot or could you simply hit the brakes plant your feet and start firing?

I have never seen this discussion on here, to be clear one more time I am talking about a regular old pedal bike no motor electric or otherwise.

·
Registered
9,883 Posts
Good question about the bike. I have an electric bike and have driven by a few deer as they watched me go by. I never intended on shooting them and I was on my own property. Still inserts the question though of shooting from a bike. I do not believe it’s legal to shoot any firearm from a county road though.

Sent from my iPhone using Michigan Sportsman

·
Premium Member
7,916 Posts
As long as it is State owned property and the bike isn’t artificially powered it would be no different than walking, stopping, and shooting but that’s an opinion.
You won’t get the real answer here, contact the DNR.

·
Registered
3,597 Posts
I do not believe it’s legal to shoot any firearm from a county road though.
It is my understanding you can shoot from a road as long as the deer is on land you have permission to hunt on. I could shoot from the road in front of my property at a deer that was on my property or the State land across the road. You on the other hand could shoot at a deer on the State land side of the road but not at a deer on my side of the road.

Reactions: SS1059 and sniper

·
Registered
7,452 Posts
The DNR does not have a good grasp on bikes(e or pedal) used for hunting on state land especially in Zone 3. I have been trying to get an answer for 3 years now. Most SGA in Zone 3 close the mountain bike trails during hunting season and the stance I have been told multiple times is within Zone 3, SGAs are foot traffic only unless on a designated trail which is closed during the season so you can't ride

·
Registered
823 Posts
Saw a guy on ransom Rd this am riding his tricycle all his orange on and everything. That's what inspired this thread. I could see it being a good doe gathering technique if it's legal.
Im curious as well wether it would be legal or not with our laws. That guy probably was one of these though lol
Bicycle Sky Vehicle Asphalt Tree

·
Registered
3,467 Posts
Dont laugh at these two:
1. slingshots must be cased when being carried in a motor vehicle..
2. Jays have BICYCLES for sale for $6999.00 plus tax, registration??

for sniper-couple posts up--Id be thinking a couple gun cases. Fish/deer cops have that discretionary power-and they love it.

·
Registered
823 Posts
Seen the guy today that @Whitetail_hunter posted about, blaze orange coat and beanie just peddling down the dirt road, no long gun in a case or slung across his body. He did have the big red reflective triangle on the back like the Amish have on their buggy's, not sure if he's actually hunting or making sure someone doesn't confuse him with a deer.

·
Registered
4,256 Posts
That guy is out riding every single day on his trike. Don’t think the orange has anything to do with deer season, as that’s what I’ve seen him wearing every time. Good for him to be visible to drivers...you couldn’t pay me to ride a bike down Ransom the way those beet haulers drive thru there.

·
Premium Member
30,498 Posts
Legal to hunt from a bike as long as it's legal to ride the bike where you are (a lot of SGAs prohibit it).

Bikes are specifically defined as NOT vehicles in MI law.

·
Registered
1,963 Posts
Dont laugh at these two:

for sniper-couple posts up--Id be thinking a couple gun cases. Fish/deer cops have that discretionary power-and they love it.
Is that law current, because you don't need to case bows and crossbows in a motor vehicle anymore?

·
Registered
9,883 Posts
Dont laugh at these two:

Haven’t heard or read about the case part. If the bike is self propelled and or under 750 watts (which mine is) I do believe it’s not considered motorized in MI. Someone may correct here. I’m not worried about it in the least. I haven’t seen a CO in my area in over 30 years. I even called them once on a poached deer and they still were a no show.

Sent from my iPhone using Michigan Sportsman

1 - 18 of 18 Posts