Michigan Sportsman Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Would like your guys feedback on hunting during a snow storm and if that's at all effective?

I hunt in southern Sanilac county, standard wood line and crop. See a lot of deer before a front moves in, so today we be pretty good. However, having a newborn has made it tough to get out this year and tomorrow might be my only opportunity to get out.

What experience have you guys had hunting smack dab in the middle of a snow storm?

Posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire

·
Registered
1,542 Posts
Hmmh....

Hunting a snow storm during ML season, or stay home and change poopy diapers? Yep, I can see the dilemma. :lol:

Get outdoors, and enjoy it.

Have done very well in the past during snow storms, but sometimes see nothing.

If windy, hunt the lee side of the woodline if you can, close to food.

·
Registered
35,738 Posts
I can't speak for the SLP but hunting when it's snowing is my favorite time to be in the woods. Don't overlook hunting the midday hours.

·
Hunter gatherer
8,763 Posts
Blowing snow somewhat neutralizes one of their defenses; Detection of movement.
Eyelashes are wet/blurry, movement everywhere both from wind and snow falling off branches.

Still hunt very slowly, into or with the wind crossing.
I wear an orange cap but I have white camo jackets and pants, or coveralls depending on the severity of the temperature/wind chill.
Move only a few yards at a time from cover to cover, like tree to tree, slowly kneel next to a bush or grass clump...
Scan for several minutes before moving on.
Look for silhouettes standing or laying under trees, clumps or brush...sometimes amongst blowdowns or laying along large logs.

·
Registered
3,850 Posts
The last time I muzzy hunted a few years ago, I took a nice 8-point in a blizzard.

It was blowing and snowing so hard I had to do an immediate tracking job, cause the blood trail and tracks were instantly getting covered up. If I had waited at all, I might not of found that deer.

·
Registered
2,512 Posts
I love heavy snow fall. Even if you don't see anything it's still fun to watch the snow.

·
Registered
10,813 Posts
I guess it depends what you call a snow storm.My experience has been kinda the opposite in heavy snow..

It starts snowing like crazy, I look outside and go man I need to get out there... I guess something that links us to some barbaric cave man trait.. I sit there and think they have to get up and feed... And I sit there, than end up seeing probably the same amount of deer I would have if it had not snowed..

This time of year all bets are off.. With how the winter has started and the extreme prolonged cold we have had they move at the warmest hours, the coldest, ignore high winds etc...

·
Banned
1,936 Posts
It's been hit or miss for me over the years when it comes to snow storms. Generally, heavy snow that falls instead of blows has more deer on their feet.

Attitude is everything and anything can happen. You're running out of time, dress warm and bring a deer drag just in case.

·
Registered
9,344 Posts
All you guys are dead on. I love the snowstorms! Dont let your white camo go to waste! I've shot 3 nice bucks with the smokepole in the last 5 years all during heavy snowfall. One of those bucks was in a blizzard. Everthing is a little tougher, but its worth it...I'll be in the woods tomorrow!

·
Administrator
17,550 Posts
Shot my first rifle buck ever in the midst of a blizzard! At times it was so bad that I could not even see 20 yards!
The second day of the season was much of the same and my dad shot his first buck ever!
Mother nature dropped a good three feet of snow on us that first two days of gun season, I think it was somewhere around 1989?
<----<<<

·
Registered
2,788 Posts
I'm going to go ice fishing in the morning as I don't think mornings are worth getting up for this time of year. But you can bet I will be out there tomorrow night waiting for them to get up and head to food. The heavy snow should get them up and moving a little earlier.
Not crazy about the east winds though.

·
Registered
9,344 Posts
All three of my snowstorm bucks were shot in the am. Two of them were acting like they were lost or something...You are right about the east winds though, deer in my area seem to put the brakes on with a east wind.

·
Registered
385 Posts
I like it. I believe the biggest buck I've ever seen in the woods during season was during very hard snow. Saw the deer, but was hunting on the restricted half of a combo and could not get a good look at the antlers until he turned and walked straight away from me and disappeared almost instantly. Not sure how much "memory growth" has taken place over the years, but he was a dandy. I believe deer will move more during the day, and also get out earlier in the evening. Not a lot of pressure in my area, maybe different in areas with higher hunter numbers.

·
Registered
1,792 Posts
Shot 2 bucks that are on my wall in a snowstorm (1 with an east wind) and missed one with a bow in the same conditions. I would also say mornings this late in season are never very productive for me. Kingspoint is about 1.5 miles from me right now and so keep the faith in this weather. Muzzleloader season is always best around this neck of the woods.

·
Registered
14,720 Posts
On the brink of a storm front deer will often increase feeding activity, but there's no benefit for an older buck to increase his daytime activity simply because it's snowing.

Hunting in a snowfall may be aesthetically pleasing, but it's highly unlikely that it offers any increased possibility of tagging an older deer. If anything adverse weather is more likely to suppress rather than increase deer activity.

·
Registered
6,346 Posts
I bust out the ghillie and stalk Fed Land, I prefer rain (actually look forward to it), but snow will do. Pines are your best bet, at least that is where Ive found the deer (buck and doe alike). Only problem is snow crunches under the weight of your foot. But with the wind in your face (20mph or better) one can overcome that.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts