Votes: 2 16.7%
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
3,117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was wanting to know, what you guys felt about huntings dogs.

Seems alot of deer hunters will just shoot them and let them lay.

PLEASE dont do this these dogs are worth lots and lots of money. and YOU may have to pay!!!

these dog could be family pets

Most hunting dogs will not and do not bother deer or there movement.

I have a 10pt hanging on the wall I shot the morning after I coon hunted a woods. we had 5 dogs in that woods untill 3am I shot this deer at 8am

I also know of a story where a guy was hunting on state land. and there was another guy bird hunting the deer hunter was mad and they had words. bow hunter stayed in his stand and the bird hunter went on his way. later that night at the local bar the deer hunter came up and said ''he was sorry'' to the bird hunter and that he had just shot a 14pt min after they left the deer had know idea the dogs or the bird hunters was ever there!!!

Here is a post some that do shoot or would should read

http://www.michigan-sportsman.com/forum/showthread.php?s=&threadid=64279

·
Registered
3,438 Posts
I`ll bet this thread will be closed by morning.

·
Registered
3,438 Posts
The topic of dog shooting on this board has had a history of getting pretty ugly.

·
Registered
1,474 Posts
It truely saddens me to see that there are mebers who actually voted to "Kill them and let them lay". I guess there are sick people everywhere and this site is no exception. No surprise that nobody cared to expand on that in this thread. I'd sure love to know who you are so as not to make the mistake of hunting with people like you in the future.

I'm an avid deer hunter and I have had hunts ruined by dogs in the past. Never once did the thought of shooting the dog enter my mind on these occasions. The life of an animal who may be a family member or a kid's best friend was not worth taking for a tough morning of hunting and I sure wouldn't shoot one for barking or being in my yard unwanted. I guess I'm more the type to try to aprehend the dog and take it back to the owner and have a talk with them. If it didn't have a tag or that didn't work, I'd probably call the athorities who handle this sort of thing.

I'm also an avid bird hunter and own a hunting dog. I maintain cortroll of him almost 100% of the time, but dogs will be dogs, and I can't say there weren't a cople of times when he found a moment of opportunity and had his 20 minutes or so on the town. That's my fault, as it is the fault of any dog owner. The problem lies there, not with the dog. Problems with dogs need to be taken up with the owners of the dog or with the propper authorities.

I would pitty the poor soul who took the law into his own hands if he were to ever have a problem with my dog. I belive that if I were the guy in the story, I'd probably end up being the defendant in a whole differant trial for the body laying next to my dead dog. Be carefull when you take the law into your own hands. There are other people out there who may do the same to you.

Al

·
Registered
1,664 Posts
I agree with salmonator specially about not wanting to hunt or even wana have anything to do with the people that would shoot a dog and leave it lay.

A couple years ago I had a dog and 2 hunters about 75 yards from me hunting rabits while I was bow hunting it did make me upset they where making alot of noise but never thought of shooting there dog either. It was also state land you would have to expect things like that its open to all to roam around and hunt any way or animal thats seems fit.

Where I usally hunt in the thumb area the bird hunters give you respect if they see a car they will hunt a differnt area of state land. We should both be considerate and respectful to one and another. also them same woods I hunt 5 years ago I hade 2 dogs go by me with no owners they where quit walked right by and out of site and I still seen deer not to long after.

Who in there right mind would shoot a dog??

·
Registered
3,117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I guess after ready those other posts I should not of put this one up

I dont mean to start trouble just kinda curious and for me this goes mainly for state land where propirty lines dont exist

as for privite land if I know theres a possiblty of my dogs crossing lines I try and get promission before I even turn the dogs loose to go get them IF they cross

If land owner is not there or I cant figure out who they are I simply set my gun at the base of a tree put my orange hat on it and get the dog as fast as i can or make some one in my party hold my gun and only 1 person goes after the dog

so please dont let this get out of hand I didnt mean to hack any one off I just was not aware there was treands on this already

·
Registered
1,189 Posts
Shooting someones dog never solves a problem, only makes it worse.

I've got no problem with guys hunting with dogs as long as they are hunting legally.

·
Registered
35,746 Posts
The biggest problem with dogs is not the dog it's the owner. Dogs are just doing what they naturally do or what they have been trained to do.

Shooting the owner is not acceptable behavior either. :D

I've owned many dogs over the years and they done things I did not want them to do. More than likely the blame could be put on me for not putting enough time into training before the season started.

We have to share public land, it's for everyone to enjoy.

·
Registered
15,867 Posts
We've been down this bumpy road before and it never leads anywhere good. Thread CLOSED.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.