Michigan Sportsman Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello new to this forum and was wondering if anyone knows where I came get some tame rabbits. Need some tame rabbits to help train hank, my beagle/blue tick mix. From googling it it sound like I should get San Juan rabbits or giant Flemish. Anyone know where I can buy some I've tried Craigslist they just have lop bunnies. Also any advice on what kind of tame rabbit I should get or any tips or pointers would be great. Thanks

Attachments

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Have no idea where you can get rabbits.But that's one a really good looking pup ya got there.
Thanks. Yea he's got some cool color and characters to him. Honestly couldn't ask for a better first pet. (That I've owned myself while living by myself) almost 6 months old and he's never chewed anything furniture, clothes, boots, etc. got him when he was 8 weeks old and had him potty trained by 9 weeks old. Also learned to sit, shake, and lay down within the first couple days of having. Crazy how quick he picks up on things

·
Banned
11,283 Posts
Thanks. Yea he's got some cool color and characters to him. Honestly couldn't ask for a better first pet. (That I've owned myself while living by myself) almost 6 months old and he's never chewed anything furniture, clothes, boots, etc. got him when he was 8 weeks old and had him potty trained by 9 weeks old. Also learned to sit, shake, and lay down within the first couple days of having. Crazy how quick he picks up on things
Dogs are cool.They learn fast and all they want is to make you happy.I have two of my own.They're just pets I don't use them to hunt.But I would bet they would catch on pretty quick.Hunting is in they're DNA.

·
Premium Member
8,352 Posts
Great looking pup. I love the coloring. I wonder how big he will get.

It is great to here that you started training when you first got your pup. So many wait to long so it becomes a real chore to get bad habits broken. Do not forget to get him chipped and keep a return address on his collar. He is born to hunt and run so if he gets lose that is what he is going to do, he is going hunting. You sure do not want to lose him if he does escape to do his thing.

·
Banned
11,283 Posts
Now days micro chipping is a must.It's cheap and effective.When I had my second chipped I kinda laughed because the adoption fee from the shelter cost less.Her adoption fee was only $25.00.That included spay and all her shots.

·
Registered
1,816 Posts
Sounds like you got a great pup and a great start, congrats. If I had one piece of advice to add to what's been said already, it would be to take great care to make sure your little guy doesn't end up gun shy. While a lot of hunting dogs shrug off the sound, why take a chance?

My technique (and I'm sure there are others equally effective) has been to first use a cap gun (do they still sell cap guns?). I'd give my dog her dinner, stand a room or two away, and fire the cap gun while she was wolfing it down. You can move gradually closer if the pup shows no reaction. The idea is to have your pup associate that sharp crack with a pleasurable experience.

Starting out in the field, I had a buddy carry a .22 pistol and walk a ways behind me, then fire when we made game. I only used this with bird dogs, but I'm guessing it would work with running bunnies just as well. By the time you're ready for real hunting, your pup will be used to the noise and associate it with field time.

This might seem like a lot of fooling around, but trust me, it's an insurance policy you definitely want to take out. I didn't with my first lab and wound up with a great companion but a worthless hunter. And in my experience, once the damage is done it can't be undone.

·
Banned
11,283 Posts
I walked mine to a gun range.First I started out far away where I could not hear it.Every day we would walk a little closer and get a lot of treats along the way. Eventually we were walking around at the range.I don't know if it was my method or she is just naturally not gun shy.

·
Registered
1,477 Posts
You might consider joining a Beagle club. There is a good chance there will be a club with a fenced in running ground stocked with rabbits where you can train your dog. But, on the other hand, well bred Beagle gun dogs are so full of natural ability its just a matter of taking them for walks in good rabbit habitat. They will investigate on their own. Eventually they will bump a rabbit from its hiding place and begin working the fresh scent. Just a matter of exposure after that. As far as getting used to gun shot, there is an old time method you could try. Take two pieces of 2 X 4's. Stack one on top of the other and install a hinge on one end making a clapper.
When you clap the two pieces of 2 x 4 together it makes a loud bang. Bang the clapper together just prior to feeding time. Your dog will eventually associate the bang with meal time and regard it as a favorable sound.

·
Registered
3,449 Posts
Raised beagles my entire life until I got into big hounds the last ten years or so. Training for gun shyness is great idea however I like to start at feeding time. Bang pans, Drop box lid etc associate noise and then feed pup. Pet him up good when you give him food. I never ever shoot around my pups until they are running scent. Once they are running scent the cap gun approach is a great one. I would stay away from gun ranges as there can be some high powered rifles there and repeated blasting. Good luck nothing better than running bunnies with a good dog.

·
Registered
15,669 Posts
I trainer I worked with had a cheap alternative to a cap pistol. He took empty shotgun hulls and knocked the primer out of them and put just a new primer in them. If you have a reloader or know someone who does that is a much cheaper alternative than buying a pistol and buying blamks....a package of 100 primers is cheap and you already own the shotgun. He also felt using a long gun around the dog was beneficial to get him used to seeing it as well as hearing it while the dog was having fun training.

·
Premium Member
34,129 Posts
My buddy had a hunting dog that knew the sight of the shotgun all too well, to meant a day of outdoor fun. As soon as the dog saw the shotgun, it started its howling. It wouldn't shut up until it was let out of the car.

·
Premium Member
8,352 Posts
I felt sorry for my GSP when pheasant hunting hit the skids. I started doing a lot of trapping wearing my brown duck hunting clothes. She would set dejected when I went out the door dressed like we were going hunting.

When I stopped to see a friend that I **** hunted with old Bones his hound would be calm and collected when I walked into the house. If I howled he would go nutz thinking we were going hunting.

·
Registered
1,009 Posts
Hello new to this forum and was wondering if anyone knows where I came get some tame rabbits. Need some tame rabbits to help train hank, my beagle/blue tick mix. From googling it it sound like I should get San Juan rabbits or giant Flemish. Anyone know where I can buy some I've tried Craigslist they just have lop bunnies. Also any advice on what kind of tame rabbit I should get or any tips or pointers would be great. Thanks
I just used meat rabbits with my beagle pup ... California whites I believe. He had a blast chasing and tracking them around the yard. Funny though, if he did catch one he would not harm it. Just stood over top of it until it ran again.
Can't say for sure whether it helped or not, but it certainly did not hurt. He turned out to be a heck of a rabbit hound.

·
Registered
2,930 Posts
I trainer I worked with had a cheap alternative to a cap pistol. He took empty shotgun hulls and knocked the primer out of them and put just a new primer in them. If you have a reloader or know someone who does that is a much cheaper alternative than buying a pistol and buying blamks....a package of 100 primers is cheap and you already own the shotgun. He also felt using a long gun around the dog was beneficial to get him used to seeing it as well as hearing it while the dog was having fun training.
You can buy primered hulls. We use them all the time for retriever training. Just don't buy the ones called poppers unless your dog is conditioned already. Those are loud and used in field trials and hundreds of yards away.

Reactions: Reed
1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.