Michigan-Sportsman.com banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
406 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am trying to find out if it is legal to archery deer hunt and carry a 410 pistol for squirrel and rabbit (wearing a hunter orange Hat, hat and vest). I hunt with a recurve bow and haven't successfully got a squirrel or rabbit yet but would like to start carrying my pistol for my a third shot option, Craving some squirral stew. Any info would and be will be appreciated.

·
Premium Member
30,301 Posts
I am trying to find out if it is legal to archery deer hunt and carry a 410 pistol for squirrel and rabbit (wearing a hunter orange Hat, hat and vest). I hunt with a recurve bow and haven't successfully got a squirrel or rabbit yet but would like to start carrying my pistol for my a third shot option, Craving some squirral stew. Any info would and be will be appreciated.
You probably need to be a little more specific. During which deer season would you want to hunt in?

·
Registered
406 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
You probably need to be a little more specific. During which deer season would you want to hunt in?

The December archery season is when I was thinking about doing this, still hunting for deer with the recurve and carrying my 410 pistol for the (possible) third shot on a squirrel.

·
Premium Member
30,301 Posts
The December archery season is when I was thinking about doing this, still hunting for deer with the recurve and carrying my 410 pistol for the (possible) third shot on a squirrel.
It's going to come down to hunting one season or the other. If you are carrying a bow and arrows with broadheads suitable for deer you will be considered hunting deer. If you are possessing a handgun with shotgun shells, you will be considered hunting small game. You can not mix both. You could hunt small game with the bow and any broad head without the handgun or with the handgun and small game points.
In other words, if you are doing the archery deer hunt, you can not possess and use a handgun.

Page 22 of the Michigan Hunting Digest 2019.

Archery Deer Seasons
During the archery deer seasons, it is unlawful to possess or carry afield a pistol, revolver, or other firearm while bow hunting for deer. Exception: This prohibition does not apply to the following:
• An individual who is properly licensed to hunt deer with a firearm and is in an area open to firearm deer hunting during the early and late antlerless season, liberty hunt, independence hunt, and the Nov. 15-30 firearm deer hunt.
• An individual who is properly licensed to hunt deer with a firearm and is an area open to the muzzleloading deer season in zone 2 or zone 3.
• Pistols carried under authority of a concealed pistol license or properly carried under authority of a specific exception from the requirement of a concealed pistol license. However, a concealed pistol license does not authorize the individual to use the pistol to take game except as provided by law.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts