Registered
10,741 Posts
Where about

Reactions: MISTURN3

·
Registered
1,329 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
One word of caution - make dang sure you pick a company that has done many of them and make dang sure they install blocking mechanisms above that chimney. Snow/ice took out my chimney one year - pushed it right down to the ground. I do live in the snow belt of Kalkaska county.
Thanks for the info!

·
Registered
3,991 Posts
One word of caution - make dang sure you pick a company that has done many of them and make dang sure they install blocking mechanisms above that chimney. Snow/ice took out my chimney one year - pushed it right down to the ground. I do live in the snow belt of Kalkaska county.
I second that. A friend had his chimney taken down by snow the winter after the contractors assured him not to worry. It was a bugger trying to get them back to repair and reinforce the next spring after the snow took it down. The following spring they hung up on him when he told them it was down again and they needed to come back and do the job right. FM

·
Registered
35,254 Posts
Story Roofing in Gaylord or American Metal Roof.

Be prepared for sticker shock. The trump tariffs have driven material prices up plus tradesmen are in high demand.

·
Registered
35,254 Posts
American Metal Roof is made in Ohio. Why inject political bs into this?
The trump tariffs have raised material prices dramatically even for US made products. US suppliers no longer have to discount their prices to compete with imported steel products.

The quote I received on 10/31 for a standing seam roof for my home was just under $50,000. The reason given for the high cost was trump tariff costs and lack of skilled labor.

·
Registered
12,514 Posts
The trump tariffs have raised material prices dramatically even for US made products. US suppliers no longer have to discount their prices to compete with imported steel products.

The quote I received on 10/31 for a standing seam roof for my home was just under $50,000. The reason given for the high cost was trump tariff costs and lack of skilled labor.
Maybe don't take political advice from a roofer... If these companies/builders can say the cost of steel is up and consumers believe than it's true, right?
https://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2019/nov/11/steel-prices-today-are-lower-than-when-trump-tarif/

·
Registered
3,023 Posts
That was my first though when I saw that picture. IMHO it really requires a custom cricket.

Reactions: 3X8

·
Registered
268 Posts
Eric Haas Construction . Lived east of Falmouth and recently moved near Lake City. I remodeled my 2 bedroom cabin/ house there, but I hired Eric to do my roof as it was too much work for wife and I . We went with standing seam.

·
Registered
268 Posts
Sorry on my last post ,spell check got me . NOT
Eric Haas Construction but should have read
Eric Baas Construction. He is married to an Ebels daughter.

·
Registered
623 Posts
Roofing contractor here- we install alot of steel. For sure get standing seam. As mentioned above exposed fastener panels are a 10 year roof imo.

Also we love bidding against American metal roof (assuming it's the same company in this area)

1 - 20 of 41 Posts