Michigan Sportsman Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
3,716 Posts
I stole this thread idea from another site but, thought it would be nice to talk a little here about our hunting preferences and our hunting buddies.

[/color]
I must admit that I am spoiled by and large. I have the best of both worlds. Although I occassionally hunt alone most of my hunting is with my best friend a.k.a Ruger1. How can this be the best of both worlds? Well he and I each have a brace of shorthairs and we drive together but hunt seperate. We split up most of the time at our covers and then get to share our stories of hits/misses and ineptness at knowing what to expect from our favorite gamebird the ruffed grouse. While driving I get to listen to Ruger1's many stories of the glory days of grouse hunting and our banter about political matters that don't have anything to do with grouse hunting.

Although hunting alone lends itself to some great reflection and insight into ones own sould the drives between covers lacks the comrodary that we hunters often look too. If it weren't for the tails of misfortune and the great shots made and the awesome dogwork that our young pup or old pooch did, wouldn't hunting really being missing something?

I would say that is why so many of us come to this site and love reading about others adventures almost as much as we love telling ours.

In this holiday season I sure am thankful for great dogs, great guns and most of all a great hunting partner who has shared more "secret spots" with me than I will ever tell anyone as well as hunting techniques.

·
Registered
1,874 Posts
BIGSP said:
I stole this thread idea from another site but, thought it would be nice to talk a little here about our hunting preferences and our hunting buddies.

[/color]
I must admit that I am spoiled by and large. I have the best of both worlds. Although I occassionally hunt alone most of my hunting is with my best friend a.k.a Ruger1. How can this be the best of both worlds? Well he and I each have a brace of shorthairs and we drive together but hunt seperate. We split up most of the time at our covers and then get to share our stories of hits/misses and ineptness at knowing what to expect from our favorite gamebird the ruffed grouse. While driving I get to listen to Ruger1's many stories of the glory days of grouse hunting and our banter about political matters that don't have anything to do with grouse hunting.

Although hunting alone lends itself to some great reflection and insight into ones own sould the drives between covers lacks the comrodary that we hunters often look too. If it weren't for the tails of misfortune and the great shots made and the awesome dogwork that our young pup or old pooch did, wouldn't hunting really being missing something?

I would say that is why so many of us come to this site and love reading about others adventures almost as much as we love telling ours.

In this holiday season I sure am thankful for great dogs, great guns and most of all a great hunting partner who has shared more "secret spots" with me than I will ever tell anyone as well as hunting techniques.

I feel the same way in a sense. I do hunt alone when I have too. Sometimes the way my schedule works out I get more time off then others and at different times meaning I spend numerous days in the woods alone. On most other occasions I am accompanied by one of the "team" you could say. I have group of guys that I do the majority of my hunting with, that have differnt dogs but hunt in similiar styles. I have found my best bet to be hunting with my brother because we have similiar dogs that work very well together. With that and a similiar pace it seems that I see more and kill more birds when hunting with someone of similiar hunting styles.
Ric

·
Registered
5,465 Posts
I like hunting alone because you can hit the spots you want and can really tune into the dog working. Then again, it is great to hunt with friends and their dogs. Ideally, I would like to hunt alone with my dog to start the day and go from there. With a young dog I sometimes feel a little insecure hunting with other people and dogs because the dog is still learning and I don't want to ruin their day off if the dog doesn't work up to their expectations for the day. I think he is coming along wonderfully but days off are hard to find and I just don't want people to think "oh no it's Tecumseh's turn".

·
Registered
2,589 Posts
i hunt alone most of the time. my wife hunted with me for a full week which i enjoy a great deal. a couple friends come up from VA for grouse hunting but we go our seperate ways in the morning and meet back at the cabin about dark. on friend from Mich is really busy but hunted 2 or 3 days and i hunt with him.

i enjoy hunting with my wife and other friends but i enjoy the solitude. i always have the dogs for company.

·
Registered
1,325 Posts
Guess i'd have to lean towards the hunts with just me and the dog. Out of all the time I hunted this fall most were alone (me and the dog). I like the solitude, even in the car. We're pretty dialed into each other when it's just the dog and I. I see a noticeable difference with another person or dog in the way he works. Not to mention the dog makes a good lunch date and will never talk about the back woods bar maids either.

·
Registered
3,837 Posts
Either way it beats sitting inside... I think I have more and better chances by myself... But enjoy them equally...

Also, the KGB (Kayla, Grady, Bogey) combo works great!

·
Registered
6,518 Posts
I like to hunt with a friend better than alone. My reasoning is if one of us or a dog gets hurt the other can get the truck faster. If we get lost two people lost works better than one! Say you make that shot of a life time it's much sweeter if some one see it. I also like to see those big running pointer run from time to time!

·
Registered
1,873 Posts
I am a spur of the moment type person, BAM, got Friday off and I am tail-lights and headin north. Might call one of my brothers to meet up with Saturday.

I like the fact I can set my own game plan and hunt the area the way I feel is best.

I hear ya Wormdunker, I have some very very solid and fond memories of some outstanding dog work along with a few very nice shots.

So, I am more or less a solo hunter. Even if with one other person and another dog, we tend to split off and hunt apart.

Allthough I do like taking a person along who loves to hunt birds and have never hunted over a seasoned pointing dog. Ya hear a lot of "WOW, look at that"

·
Registered
1,970 Posts
Interesting question. I'd have to say, I'm kind of in the same boat as Mike(Tec). Being that, the dogs are not where I'd like them to be as far as holding point consistently and a few other miner things. They are getting there but, not as of yet. As far as, hunting alone "vs" with someone. I hunt ninty some percent of the time with my wife or sons, now. I use to hunt ninty percent of the time by myself (always had a dog though). I've hunted with groups of guys before, at friends farms or preserves, always had a good time but, just don't care for the time wasted on indecission. To much time wasted, standing around asking, "where do you want to go next", "do you guys want to take a break"(after twenty minutes of hunting, "I don't think so"), and so on and so on. I liked the way they did things up at Grouse Camp. Before going there, kind of pictured twenty guys with thirty dogs heading out into the woods, shoulder to shoulder. But, it wasn't that way. Guys broke off into smaller groups and went their own directions. Meeting back at camp later in the day, to talk about their day in the woods. I guess to really answer the question. I'd have to say, I mostly like hunting alone but, enjoy talking the talk after the day is done(which is hard to do, if your by yourself all the time). That's why I enjoyed going over to Grouse Camp this year, meeting a bunch of great guys with similar interests and that love their dogs as much as I do. Brian.

·
Registered
5,813 Posts
i hunt quite a bit by myself. i am self employed and can get away weekdays or extended weekends that many guys cannot. i would rather have someone to hunt with. wether we ran our dogs together or split off. just having someone along to share the hunt with is alot more fun. but it was already said, i dont want to sit around and debate or question the hunts. just go do it. 2 or 3 guys that have patience for each other and their dogs is a great way to spend a weekend in the fall. some friends of mine have kids and wives and cant get away much at all now. before we used to go up north and fish salmon at night, bird hunt mid am and early after noon then bow hunt the evening. we had many great days out.

i do like to hunt alone but i would rather have a friend along. opening day of pheasant it would have been great to have someone along. we would have seen more birds but it was a GREAT day anyhow. i met a bunch of good people to hunt with. there were several hunts for grouse and woodcock that would have been much more productive (birds in the bag) if there were 2 or 3 of us. also a couple of those grouse/woodcock hunts were extraordinary. the one evening there were so many woodcock i had to take one dog back to the truck. that is another problem, because i have 2 dogs i feel guilty leaving one in the truck. so many times this fall i ran both dogs and being alone the hunt suffered.

·
Registered
7,175 Posts
I do both.

In all honesty, when you hunt alone your dog(s) is always the best which is, you know, good for the ego and good for posting on this site.

But I hunt for a variety of reasons, and when given a choice would rather hunt with a partner, share the dog work, share the weather, share it all.

I bet I hunt alone thought 60% of the time.

In the end, friends come and go, we change jobs, people get divorced, neighbors move away, even our beloved bird dogs pass, but Hunting and Fishing Partners are there for you through thick and thin no matter what.

True Hunters and Fisherman share a unspoken respect for the love of the outdoors, something the general public has no idea about! I often wonder what in the hell does the general public do for fun?

·
Registered
1,874 Posts
Steelheadfred said:
I do both.

I often wonder what in the hell does the general public do for fun?
I often ponder this myself and usually follow it up with what the hell do they spend there money on. All i know is that if I didnt hunt or fish I would be RICH.
Jr

·
Registered
2,130 Posts
I like hunting alone or with my brother. I took a friend deer hunting and he kept sending me text messages like "was that you shooting", "did you get one yet", " I'm cold". Maybe I need different hunting friends? :confused:

1 - 13 of 13 Posts