Michigan Sportsman Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
13,901 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I looked at a HAP property the other day, and it's a remote piece of property with just a sign and a mailbox, which in the past typically holds the information and permits. Nothing was in the box. So my question is what do you do if there is nothing in the box? Aren't they required to keep the box full? Is it common to have an empty box?

·
Registered
36,028 Posts
HAP properties are not all the same make sure you know what program its enrolled in.

·
Registered
18,933 Posts
Last I knew it varied.
A self check in differs than one in which you acquire an access permit directly from an owner/manager.
Some allow check in/permit acquisition the night before a hunt, others not.
Some self checks don't get the permits returned like they should after hunts though a log in and out book is often present.
A worthwhile program though when enough properties are learned.
It should indicate in the H.A.P. book if check in is mandatory at a residence, or a self serve type box is used.
Good luck and good hunting.

·
Registered
19,171 Posts
Since the mailbox was there, it isn't a mandatory check in at a farmhouse. I'm guessing that someone was up to a little mischief and took the paper and pen. If it was taken out of the program, the signs and box are taken down very close to the last day of the lease.

L & O

·
Registered
11,997 Posts
If you can figure out who the owner is let them know. They will want to know if their paperwork and log book is gone. They need a good record of how often their property is used. It can affect the amount they get paid in the future or even if they will be allowed in the program.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts