Michigan Sportsman Forum banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was going to post in another thread about a particular item, but as I read through the other posts I was disheartened to see hunters vilely calling each other out. Healthy debate is great (and fun) but I have seen some downright nastiness. Whether the argument is about the type of deer you shoot, what you shoot with, whether baiting is good or bad...whatever....

The more hunters argue amongst themselves, the weaker our ranks become. There are a number of "outside" agencies that are trying to limit hunting rights and gun rights...they don't need our help.

I could go all Rodney King on ya (Can't we all just get along? :lol:) but that really shouldn't be necessary.

I hope ALL hunters have had or will have safe and successful seasons this year. I hope we will continue, as a community, to pass on our knowledge and traditions and to stand united defending our rights to do so.

·
Banned
5,167 Posts
I agree, in the end we are all hunters, just doing things differently with different standards. Seems we all get off track sometimes and forget:)

·
Banned
11,839 Posts
I've seen, for too many years, hunters not working together which is one of the many reasons I retired from my job when I did and also have not even thought about hunting for the last 3 years. I truthfully don't know if I'll ever hunt again. This is one of the biggest reasons for it. I don't want to be associated with people who think like too many hunters do. I will always support hunting but......the selfishness, the thinking of their "right" to do what they think regardless of any law or regulation, the thinking that everyone should hunt the way they think everyone should hunt, the put down of others who hunt within the law but not to their way of thinking. Yep, I'll bet there are more people giving up hunting for those reasons and one day those "do it my way" people will finally learn that they screwed up but it will be too late.

·
Registered
1,821 Posts
The vast majority of this dis-unification seems to revolve around QDM practices and legal responses (gee, that was a bolt from the blue). As a reality check, I took a snapshot a minute ago of the number of QDM-oriented posts vs. all other posts on the first page of the general whitetail forum. 5 of the 20 posts, or 25%, struck me as QDM oriented. Those 5 posts generated 423 responses, or 64% of all responses. Obviously, this is a hotly debated topic. Maybe we should consider devoting a sub-forum to it. Wait a minute....

·
Registered
1,634 Posts
The vast majority of this dis-unification seems to revolve around QDM practices and legal responses (gee, that was a bolt from the blue). As a reality check, I took a snapshot a minute ago of the number of QDM-oriented posts vs. all other posts on the first page of the general whitetail forum. 5 of the 20 posts, or 25%, struck me as QDM oriented. Those 5 posts generated 423 responses, or 64% of all responses. Obviously, this is a hotly debated topic. Maybe we should consider devoting a sub-forum to it. Wait a minute....
on that note, here we go again:lol:

·
Registered
6,572 Posts
Diversity is a very healthy thing and difference of opinion is too. However when tempers get involved than, yes it is somewhat negative. I try to learn from some and improve my knowledge base. But in the end I would not choose to be like many on this site, or perhaps like many hunters. I sleep well at night knowing I didn’t break the law or hurt anyone else. I am glad we all have an opinion and do not feel this in any way hurts hunting. That is a huge jump to suggest that disagreeing is killing deer hunting, it makes you smarter, you learn more, and then choose your own path. I also don’t get involved in these serious debates here. If you want to see me in serious action, just visit the Political site for my rougher side.

·
Premium Member
21,607 Posts
I was going to post in another thread about a particular item, but as I read through the other posts I was disheartened to see hunters vilely calling each other out. Healthy debate is great (and fun) but I have seen some downright nastiness. Whether the argument is about the type of deer you shoot, what you shoot with, whether baiting is good or bad...whatever....

The more hunters argue amongst themselves, the weaker our ranks become. There are a number of "outside" agencies that are trying to limit hunting rights and gun rights...they don't need our help.

I could go all Rodney King on ya (Can't we all just get along? :lol:) but that really shouldn't be necessary.

I hope ALL hunters have had or will have safe and successful seasons this year. I hope we will continue, as a community, to pass on our knowledge and traditions and to stand united defending our rights to do so.
Unfortunately you are correct in what you say above. There are far too many hunters who would rather argue than to come to an agreement. Each one protects their "turf" and by "turf" I mean their concept of what needs to be done with the deer herd. There seems to be little willingness to find common ground and to work together from there. In the long run we'll all be losers and THEN watch/listen to the moaners.

I've seen first hand what can be accomplished by a focused, dedicated, intelligent, hard working group of sportsmen and women that were in pursuit of a common goal and willing to compromise.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
It bothers me more because I have always been an outspoken advocate of hunting. When I was in college (surrounded by "bambi lovers") I would make a point of utilizing assignments (Like in a speech class for instance) to explain and defend hunting and gun rights, etc. I was always proud, as a hunter, to be able to point out the ethical nature of most hunters in taking only high percentage shots, how hunters help control population, how we invest more money in conservation than any other group, yada yada....

Now, years later, I find myself reading posts from a community that is turning on itself. Again, healthy debate is great but to see blatant ridicule and condemnation of others over small (generally petty) differences is sad.

It reminds me of documentaries where the film maker always finds some retard to state his backward, ignorant opinion as a the credo for the whole side of that argument rather than putting someone intelligent on film who is not an extremist.

Make a valid argument and debate your opinion but don't sink to name calling and defending your point with ignorant comments whose "truth" or "correctness" are predicated by the "because it's what I think so it must be right" mentality.

·
Registered
434 Posts
It bothers me more because I have always been an outspoken advocate of hunting. When I was in college (surrounded by "bambi lovers") I would make a point of utilizing assignments (Like in a speech class for instance) to explain and defend hunting and gun rights, etc. I was always proud, as a hunter, to be able to point out the ethical nature of most hunters in taking only high percentage shots, how hunters help control population, how we invest more money in conservation than any other group, yada yada....

Now, years later, I find myself reading posts from a community that is turning on itself. Again, healthy debate is great but to see blatant ridicule and condemnation of others over small (generally petty) differences is sad.

It reminds me of documentaries where the film maker always finds some retard to state his backward, ignorant opinion as a the credo for the whole side of that argument rather than putting someone intelligent on film who is not an extremist.

Make a valid argument and debate your opinion but don't sink to name calling and defending your point with ignorant comments whose "truth" or "correctness" are predicated by the "because it's what I think so it must be right" mentality.
:dizzy::dizzy::dizzy::dizzy: ya lost me there buddy

·
Registered
6,757 Posts
Anybody see that wings game?????????????:sad::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::help:
Healthy discussion and debate open minds, change minds, and build consensus. If people join these discussions intending to educate and be educated, they're not a bad thing.

It's when people feel the need to comment without adding anything to the discussion (see above) -- trying to get things off track, pick a fight, call names, make a joke -- thats when things start to fall apart.

I'm not saying we all need to be straight-faced and serious 100% of the time, but what's the point of detracting from an otherwise honest and productive conversation?

I'm guilty of starting one of the run away QDMish threads. If someone were to go through and eliminate the condescending, snarky or vile comments which dis-unify (from both sides of the issue), it would probably be 2 pages long, instead of 21.

KW

·
Banned
11,839 Posts
so who do you associate with??
If you read the post you would know.
I don't want to be associated with people who think like too many hunters do. I will always support hunting but......the selfishness, the thinking of their "right" to do what they think regardless of any law or regulation, the thinking that everyone should hunt the way they think everyone should hunt, the put down of others who hunt within the law but not to their way of thinking.
There are hunters who are not selfish, don't even consider not obeying the law and the biggest, there are about 10 times the number of non-hunters in this country than hunters.:)

·
Premium Member
4,483 Posts

It's not a new development that there are hunters arguing with each other, or not agreeing with how other people hunt. It has been going on forever. The topics may change, the hot issues may change, a person's opinion and/or their ferver in defending their opinon may change but the divisions are always there.

In the pre-internet and pre-internet social sites (like MS) days you just didn't hear about it like you do now. Back then you hunted with your family or your group of friends and you basiclly had similar idea's and practices (that's why you were hunting buddies and friends). You argued amongst yourselves and whined about the neighbors or the camp down the road and that was that. You only had exposure to a tiny portioni of the hunting world that was going on around you. You didn't have the ability to get online and access hunters all over the state at the touch of a button.

I'm not in any way saying that it's a good thing that we have some division amongst our ranks. I would love if everybody was able to go afield with no gripes or complaints. Just a big group of hunters enjoying the experience. I also realize that will never happen though. You can't expect the million plus people who hunt to all agree on everything.

I agree that hopefully when push comes to shove the hunting community can put differnces aside and unite when needed though!

·
Banned
368 Posts
It's when people feel the need to comment without adding anything to the discussion (see above) -- trying to get things off track, pick a fight, call names, make a joke -- thats when things start to fall apart.

I don't see much of that in here, and that which I do see can be easily ignored. I agree with much of the QDM'ers philosophy, and I will also be shooting at the first legal buck that crosses my path come next Sunday. If you agree/disagree, great, that's what makes the world go 'round.

·
Registered
5,494 Posts
without some of these disagreements this place would get pretty boring. Did you notice that it's these threads that get the most views/posts?

1 - 20 of 31 Posts