Michigan Sportsman Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My son turned 10 last month and is anxious to do some REAL rabbit hunting w/ me over our beagle this year. He got a single shot 20g for his birthday, so he's all set, minus hunters safety. I see that small game and archery deer licenses start at 10, so I know he needs a license to carry a weapon and actually hunt. My concern though, is that I'll put him in a hunter's safety class and it will be geared towards older kids/adults. Can anyone recommend a location or instructor in the Kalamazoo area that des a good job w/ younger kids? Or, shouldn't I be concerned?

·
Registered
606 Posts
My youngest son took it last year at age 9 so we could do an out of state hunt in Ohio. He made it just fine through the class. Your child will do just fine in class at his age. I recomend sitting in class with him and quizzing him over his book work. I did this with each of my three kids and enjoyed spending time with them in class. I looked at it as a refresher course for myself also. Enjoy!:D

·
Registered
95 Posts
I went through when I was 10 but most of the others in the class were about the same age. I guess it depends what area of the state you live in. Were I grew up it was a right of passage to take the class. Around the city I see a lot of older kids taking the course. They held a few classes at our hospital a year or so ago and I seen a whole different lot of ages in there.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
thanks guys. I took it when I was 11 or 12. I remember there being lots of other kids, but I know things have changed in the many years that have passed since then.

It's definitely always been thought of as a right of passage in my family.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
According to DNRs website, 10 yrs old can carry weapon and hunt small game and archery deer if they have a license. Need to be 12 yrs old for firearm deer.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts