Michigan Sportsman Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A good buddy and me are in a dispute over recreational vehicles being allowed to operate between 11am and 2 pm during gun season. I am a hardcore snowmobiler but love to hunt as well. Last weekend a buddy and me went up to Houghton Lake and rode north within the alotted time period. He thinks that sleds, atvs, dirt bikes should be banned from the woods during rifle period.

Those of you who hunt public or private land near orv/snowmobile trails are you upset when a orv goes by on a trail during the 11-2 window thats legal?

Just curious:help:

·
Registered
1,786 Posts
For the most part I am out of the woods during that time perid. But if I was in the woods I would be a little angry. I to agree orv's have all year to go into the woods why should they be in there during deer hunting season, Oct-Dec. that leaves them 9 mths to go orving.

fulldraw

·
Registered
3,619 Posts
fulldraw said:
For the most part I am out of the woods during that time perid. But if I was in the woods I would be a little angry. I to agree orv's have all year to go into the woods why should they be in there during deer hunting season, Oct-Dec. that leaves them 9 mths to go orving.

fulldraw
Some of the best riding is during the fall when the temp cools and the colors are in bloom.

I think the rules are just fine the way they are now. I personally don't ride during the firearm season because i spend all my time hunting.

·
Premium Member
17,583 Posts
Neal said:
Uhhhh....Don't hunt near ATV/Snowmobile trails..

Problem solved

Exactly! ....I'm guessing they are filled with people traffic of all type to begin with.

I'm with Poz though, I hope to make at least one Oct trip north next fall for a weekend atv ride for the colors and the excellent photo oppurtunities. Just another way to thoroughly enjoy the fall bonanza this state has to offer. I'm too busy at camp to bother with it during the firearms seasons, but I think the current law is a pretty good compromise. The state land belongs to all users, and atv's are regulated in there use of the resource just as hunters are.

·
Registered
874 Posts
Unfortunatley the deer hunters do not own the woods from October 1 - December 31 and if you are within your legal rights it should not matter. I am an avid deer hunter and use bow, gun and muzzle loader but would never critisize others for doing what they enjoy. Somewhere along the line everyone has decided that deer hunters own the woods during this time but forget about the bird, squirrell, coon and other recreations that go on this time of year. Whens the last time you heard a deer hunter say I better not hunt from 6-noon because that is prime time for pheasants.

I would rather see a guy taking his son squirrell hunting on state land than see a deer.

Just my opion.

·
Registered
522 Posts
And if you want to ride public land during rifle season its your gamble not ours. Personaly the last place I would want to be is riding through state land during rifle season.:rolleyes: Mykass

·
Registered
874 Posts
I just don't understand why snowmobiling is so much less or more important than deer hunting. They set up specific times to accomodate both groups so what is the problem?

If you tell someone who is not a hunter that he is not safe snowmobiling durning the designated times what kind of message does that send. The solution is compromise the problem is narrow minded people.

·
Registered
4,056 Posts
Hey from 11 to 2 they are movin deer for ya.....bonus! I can understand differing opinions but it is stateland I own it and you own it ans so does the guy who wants to ride take pictures or just walk so lets all get along, c'mon guys give peace a chance for once ok :lol:
AW

·
Premium Member
2,717 Posts
I don't have a problem with it. State land is state land. My problem was with the stupid lady I saw who was riding her brown horse on state land during gun season a few years back. I was in real fear for her life.

·
Registered
3,619 Posts
Maybe her husband got her that horse and told it it was a perfect time to ride :evilsmile :evilsmile :evilsmile

·
Registered
9,186 Posts
deer hunters do not own the woods. those atv riders,,, which i dislike as much as anything in our woods, pay taxes and have the same rights as you and i to use our public land. i really haven't seen many on the land i hunt, and as long as they try to be respectful thats about all i can ask.

·
Registered
9,186 Posts
while im at it i'll throw this cinder in everyones eye too,,,, squirrel hunters in general stay out of the woods during hunting season ,but they shouldn't have too. many squirrel hunters have no interest in deer but they lose valuble hunting time to the quiet period before opening day. right in the middle of perfect squirrel hunting.

·
Registered
439 Posts
When I had a snowmobile I rode when I could. Usually in a state park that allowed hunting and snowmobiling. I didn't like when I sometimes came across someone hunting. I always felt bad for possibly ruining their hunt. But if you look at the flip side my snowmobiling would have been ruined if I only rode when I knew someone wasn't hunting. There are alot of things that would tic a person off going on out there. But if no one is being deliberatly beligerant you've got to let it roll off your shoulder. I bow hunt, gun hunt, and small game hunt with dogs. I understand all sides of it.
I wouldn't think of asking someone not to trail ride when it's in their right to do so. I also wouldn't expect a bowhunter to to say something to me about running my squirrel dog.

Ed

·
Registered
3,367 Posts
Funny, it sounds like some of the riders dont stay on trails. I thought it was law to stay on ORV trails or marked trails on public land. That shouldnt interfere with any hunter.....

·
Registered
439 Posts
I don't know much about other state or federal grounds so I can't say what's going on there. In Sleepy Hollow State Park there are trails you can ride. About 5 miles worth. Where you ride is the same place people hunt. Sometimes a person might be 100 yards off the trail hunting and sometimes maybe right on it looking for rabbits and squirrels.

Ed

1 - 18 of 18 Posts