Michigan Sportsman Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
cold, dead hands ......
6,198 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Had a conversation Friday eve with a neighbor who was hunting his parent's 5 acres. He was watching a nice buck at about 60 yards - no shot opp but was waiting for the buck to move so he could take a shot. He then lost sight of the buck for about 1 minute and heard some rustling in the brush near (maybe 30-40 yards from original sighting) where the buck was. He then pulled his gun up and was ready to lift the safety (keep in mind he had major BUCK FEVER) when another neighbor came strolling through NOT WEARING ANY HUNTER ORANGE!!!! Granted - NEVER put your gun up on a "sound" - BUT WEAR ORANGE! This was an accident waiting to happen. The hunter not wearing any orange made the statement that she "never had seen anyone back there and didn't think it was necessary".:bash:

·
Registered
1,958 Posts
I was out walking my g-mas property Fri around noon and saw movement. Almost went for the gun but something didn't click that it was a deer. There were two guys in full camo or green that were high tailing it out of there. Must of saw me before I saw them and headed for the road. They obviously knew they were tresspassing but I didn't even pursue them. Just shook my head and followed their tracks. I stopped at the property line so who knows where they came from. Ended up seeing a spike horn for the 100th time this year.

·
Registered
775 Posts
I was on state land last week and a group of guys got out of their trucks w/ full camo, then they put on hats w/ about 6 square inches of orange. To make a long story short one of them had a slug hit a tree 3 feet from him. He went back to his truck and grabbed an orange jacket.
A little orange is not enough, even on private property.

·
Registered
146 Posts
I agree that people need to wear orange..but also people need to stop pulling there guns up or shooting at movement or noises. you have to be very sure of what you are shooting at. shooting at sounds and movement is very irresponsible and those people shouldnt be in the woods hunting. be very sure of your target ,once the trigger is pulled you cant take back what has been done.

·
cold, dead hands ......
6,198 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
lostyooper said:
people need to stop pulling there guns up or shooting at movement or noises
Without a doubt .... it usually takes a combination of things to cause a tragic accident.

·
Registered
1,718 Posts
thanks for posting this.... some people aint too bright

·
Registered
1,332 Posts
a women i work with got clipped wednesday for no hunter orange. she was sitting in her box blind and didn't feel she needed it. well the c.o. that knocked on the blind door did see it that way. she found out today that it is a $76.00 fine. add that to the baiting/feeding fine she recieved and she is over $200.

·
Registered
7,174 Posts
A few years ago, I bought a nice Browning coat that was orange with the twigs imprinted on it. It is a shell with a very warm zip out jacket. I didn't like it because it was noisy on those cold morning that I need to wear it. So I went out this year and bought a Hardwoods similar jacket with a fleece lined that is extremely warm, still a bit noisy for my liking but anyhow, Gander mountain had these hunter's orange slip over things for $5 and I purchased on of those. I'm glad I did, because originally I was just going to wear an orange hat and gloves. Well, twice I've had squirrel hunters come up behind me and I don't think they would have seen me behind the tree, if all I had on was the hat and mitts. That slip over is EXTREMELY bright orange and you can see it from a heck of a ways away.

My point is, it doesn't cost alot to be safe. They were only $5 and pretty well made and will last me many more years. The deer see that orange as white, I believe. i don't know why anybody would go into the woods, where people with guns that they don't know, without wearing something to let other's know they are there.

·
cold, dead hands ......
6,198 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
dtg said:
Gander mountain had these hunter's orange slip over things for $5 and I purchased on of those.
I bought these same items for everyone in my family - I keep it in my backpack and we all wear them when tracking deer - even during bow season. (and yes, they are BRIGHT!)

·
Registered
2,817 Posts
Seen the same slob twice now with no orange on. Guys a real dolt. I think I will just let natural selection take its course.

·
Registered
277 Posts
yesterday morning around 10am i was in my climber and im glad im one of them that goes higher than 20ft during gun season, some yahoo for the 3rd day in a row comes walking thru and he is completely oblivious to his surroundings its not funny. he walked right under my tree and all of a sudden he pulls up his gun and starts blasting,now im 30 ft up and have a orange hat and coat on and after this dolt fires off 3 shots the whole time im yelling hey hey up here he reloads and still acts like he doesnt hear me, well i hooked my thermos on my rope and let it down to get his attention he about jumped out of his skin and then finally looks up i asked what in the hell are you shooting at, he says he saw a buck run across the open area and head into the swamp
i told him ive been up here and havent seen a thing well then he admits he just wanted to shoot his gun,, i asked him what if someone was over in the swamp and you where blasting away, his reply made me realize how lucky i was to be in a tree 30ft up his answer was well i guess i never thought of that what a freakin retard,, im just glad this yahoo and his party left this morning, maybe now i can do some hunting and not have to worry about another knuckle head in the woods

·
Registered
532 Posts
dtg said:
A few years ago, I bought a nice Browning coat that was orange with the twigs imprinted on it. It is a shell with a very warm zip out jacket. I didn't like it because it was noisy on those cold morning that I need to wear it.
I bought the same jacket, 3 in 1 orange blaze. The shell is gore-tex and can snap, crakle and pop in the cold. Its really annoying. But I dont think the deer can hear it too well, excepcially in a blind. Took of the shell, being in a blind, and was quiet as can be. The hydro-fleece water repellent (non Gore-tex) insulated bibs from Browning are the cats meow. Too bad there really my wifes.

The more orange, the better.

·
Registered
2,535 Posts
east bay ed said:
a women i work with got clipped wednesday for no hunter orange. she was sitting in her box blind and didn't feel she needed it. well the c.o. that knocked on the blind door did see it that way. she found out today that it is a $76.00 fine. add that to the baiting/feeding fine she recieved and she is over $200.
It might seem petty for a CO to write a ticket for what she did but it would be real easy to shoot a deer and then forget to put your orange hat back on as you go to look for it.

·
Registered
1,332 Posts
answer guy,
that would imply that she had a orange hat with her. i do not think that was even the case. my guess is if she had a hat he would have let her go.

·
Registered
2,535 Posts
east bay ed said:
answer guy,
that would imply that she had a orange hat with her. i do not think that was even the case. my guess is if she had a hat he would have let her go.
Bad on her.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts