Michigan Sportsman Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
514 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ray, My grandson just moved back to MI with his parents. He is trying to find a hunter ed class to enroll in so he can purchase a turkey license before Feb. 1st. There doesn't seem to be one available before April in our area. I was looking on the DNR website and saw the online pre certification course. If he took the online course now and enrolled in the April hands on class could he buy the license before Feb 1? If not, what is the purpose for the online pre certification test? He is 13 and really wants to go turkey hunting with me in the spring. Do we have any options?:confused: :confused:

·
Banned
11,839 Posts
He doesn't need any hunter safety to make an application so if he is just applying then he can wait and take the whole class. Or he can do it as you stated, either way. Just wanted to make clear that the Feb 1 date is application only which hunter safety is no required at that time.

·
Registered
514 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I usually buy the 234 guaranteed over the counter license. He can apply for the 234 hunt during the application period, as his 1st choice? Then take hunter ed before purchasing the license, correct?

·
Banned
11,839 Posts
Correct.

·
Registered
514 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks Ray. I know one young man that is going to be very happy.

·
Registered
284 Posts
Good question, I have a nephew that is 13, and will start bear hunting with us when he is of age. My question is; Can he apply for points on his own (being under age) or does he have to have points transfered to him if he wants to hunt when he is 14. He will not be 14 this bear season!

Thanks

·
Banned
11,839 Posts
To the best of my knowledge, yes he can because the law only prohibits the purchase of a license until hunter safety and proper age come about.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts