Michigan Sportsman Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well it's been tough watching other begin and end their bear hunts but mine starts Thursday. Last year I drew a 2nd season Newberryt tag and this year I drew a 3rd season tag. I don't think I'll apply for a 3rd season again, but if I get a bear this weekend...

I have three bait sites between Rudyard and the Raco area. All three have been hit regularly but halfheatedly. Because I live about 20 miles south of Ludington I've been able to bait only about once a week. I last baited on Thursday and all three bait sites were gone. I really wanted to bait again today or tomorrow but it doesn't look like I'll get away from work.

From the two trail cams I have, it looks like the bears (one or two per site) have been coming in the day of or day after I bait -- makes it seem like they are in the immediate area. They come in for about two days and then leave the bait to coons and skunks. My best bear on camera is my avatar.

So I'll bait the spot I plan to hunt around 11 am Thursday, go bait the other two spots and return to hunt around 1 pm. SHOULD I DO A GREASE BURN THEN? I have a lot of donut grease and could do a burn before settling into my stand. They haven't had a burn at any bait sites yet, so I don't want to scare them -- if it would. I could also just believe they will continue to follow the pattern.

It's a crap shoot anyway. I hope to post some success photos.

·
Registered
62 Posts
good luck and have a great time My hunt starts also thursday can't wait
my baits have slowed down, bear aint a predictable before season started. Besure to post your story even if you don't get one.
steve

·
Registered
36 Posts
My bait is in the newberry unit as well. I was out of bait sat morning and dropped about 300lbs. I then lit up a bacon burn.

When I went back that evening, I did a honey burn and one bear came in.

Hugh

·
Registered
62 Posts
didn't see no bears the last two night I shut of game camera (cant shut off flash) last weekend, when they came in at night they didn't stick around long looked skidish. Latly nothing has been around, barrel is on its side with a hole in the top no coon, skunks, squirrels or ravens, it kinda odd, when we had pics of 5 coons at one time
looks like its going to cool down the first of the week
good luck and keep us posted
steve

1 - 6 of 6 Posts