Michigan Sportsman Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
8,514 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It's great to have a partner. My daughter and I are teaming up this year. You guys can sit 20 feet apart or so and both call. Double calling is a killer tactic. Be 2 hens just clucking along and feeding, or better yet, when you have a wise old Tom hang up, one of you can yelp, and the other can mimmic a Jake by using a Primos Shake Gobbler and answer her. After a repetition or 2 of yelping and gobbling, sit tight and be quite for a minute and then do a fighting purr on your slate.
If this doesn't do it, you have a smart bird on your hands.

The Primos Gobbler is the most realistic gobble call that I've heard yet and imitates both a long beard and a jake gobble, it travels out there a long way too. Just be careful, you really do sound like a Tom and any other hunter in earshot will think so too.

Season's almost here. :cool: :)

·
Super Moderator
11,756 Posts
Howdy, Tom-

Be sure and let us know how you and Chelsea fare.....

·
Registered
823 Posts
Interesting. I've been thinking of adding a gobbler call to my bag of tricks. Might have to try this T-head. I, as many others, have certainly encountered the stubborn, hung-up, gobbler.

·
Registered
4,968 Posts
Sounds like a great idea, let us know how it worked out. I haven't heard the Primos Gobbler call in action yet, so I guess that gives me another reason to head over to Cabela's or BPS to check one out! :D

·
Registered
2,596 Posts
Now thats why I like to visit this site, good advice on tactics.

I'm no pro with a call but have gotton much better with my mouth calls. However, being able to make the correct calls and knowing when to use them is different.

Thanks for your input and don't be shy with more. The guys that do a lot of hunting on their own appreciate hearing what works for others. I'll try this during the opener in Roscommon.

·
Super Moderator
11,080 Posts
I have thought about this as well I love the particular call you refer to...just something to ponder.

I use it as a locator BEFORE the 1st season when scouting on State land. I have considered using it as you suggest during the season when I am hunting on private property.

Don't want to sound like a know it all (cause I sure got a lot to learn) but I would caution anybody from using a gobble during the season unless you can be positive you are the only one hunting in the area.

Turkey Hunting has it's share of unsafe hunters as well...

·
Registered
5,974 Posts
Guy's the cool thing is the DNR will get together and use a gobble call to answer tresspasser who are calling. One move and gobbles and the other sneaks around to the callers.

Skinner 2

·
Registered
8,514 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I'll be hangin around in Cablea's next Saturday and Sunday demonstrating Turkey calls and whatnot. If any of you guys are around , swing in and check out that Gobbler. It's well worth the 12 bucks. I swear, that thing sounds just like a Tom.

21 days to go ....... :)

·
Registered
192 Posts
I picked up a gobble call myself this year. One more trick in the bag. Some say that hunters over call. I know getting into a shouting match with a tom can get you no where, but I believe that continuing to try something different to get him to move in closer for a better look is more productive than just staying silent and hoping he will move. This is the very reason I picked up the gobble call. Also when all else fails I have went to full orchestra, using everything I had with good results most of the time. The trickiest part for me is when you can tell the bird is moving toward you, when do you stop calling. Many have said that if the bird is moving closer stop calling until they stop or start moving away. I have found that if I completely stop calling it is harder to get them moving again or to get them to come back to you. I like to continue to call but cut back on the volume and frequency to just keep them coming in. Thunderhead has got one of the best ideas to beat this situtation by having a partner call with you. It sound a whole lot more natural and convincing when there are two different calls coming from to two slightly different positions. It also allows one person to concentrate on the calling while the other can get ready to take a good shot. To me the interaction with the turkeys is what makes turkey hunting so enjoyable. My best advise for what it is worth. Do not be afraid to call.

·
Registered
288 Posts
I would never think of using a Gobble Call on State Land, with all the hunters that don't know a call from the real thing. Gobble Gobble Gobble.:) :) :)

·
Premium Member
6,343 Posts
I called in a poacher with one on private land.
It was the only call that would get a rise out of a tom that was headed in the wrong direction. I've used them since then but I'm a little more cautious with them now.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts