Michigan Sportsman Forum banner

Humminbird

684 Views 11 Replies 10 Participants Last post by  KI Jim
Looking to buy a new fishfinder. Wouldn't mind GPS capability on a fairly tight budget. Found a Humminbird in monochrome for about $225.00, but my dad says they aren't known for quality or longevity. Also found a garmin color w/o gps for same price.
Any thoughts on Humminbird? Garmin?
1 - 12 of 12 Posts
I would not buy a humminbird if my life depended on it.Reason being my buddy transducer got broken and i called them up about another 1.They told me we dont carry them anymore.There goes 500 bucks down the crapper.I have looked everywhere for it too.All over the world so we screwed.Its only 2 or 3 yrs old too :mad: .If u do buy 1 i would make sure u buy any extra transducer if ya can.Dont end up like us .Mich
go with eagle or garmin or furuno. garmin color plus gps about $500. or eagle classic mono under $150. get a car navigation system with a nav map. then u can use it in car and boat. make the wife happy too. can find for 2-3 hundred.
i belive eagle and lowrance are co owned so either is a great unit.personally id spend the money and get a good one ,never know when the fogs gonna roll in.
i have a handheld gps (Lowrance H20) is there a fish finder unit that i can hook that up to for gps (that doesn't come with gps so i can save some $$$)?? Does any body know if going that route has any disadvantages?
I had problems with eagle like people are saying about humminbird. My little humminbird Matrix is a great little unit. Even works for ice fishing. Will be buying one of the 700 series this summer. Had the Matrix for 5 years, and not a single problem with it. And still has transducers avialable for it.
double trouble said:
go with eagle or garmin or furuno. garmin color plus gps about $500. or eagle classic mono under $150. get a car navigation system with a nav map. then u can use it in car and boat. make the wife happy too. can find for 2-3 hundred.
There was a hmmingbird on my boat when i bought it and it pretty much fell apart.... Literally!
Thanks guys, I'll stay away from the 'bird...
For color, sonar, & GPS on a budget look at the Lowrance M68c. I have one and don't mind it too much. Worth the $400 at least compared to the more expensive units.

Only real complaint I have about it is the mounting bracket. I've had mine for about 18 months and think I've broke about six of them. Only $11 to replace but really makes for a tough day on the water when it does break.

You can also use it for ice fishing and it works ok. It's not a vexilar, but if you were looking to get double duty out of one unit, it's a plus.
and buy a color sonar/gps unit. The monochrome is nearly impossible to see from anywhere but right in front of it.

My $0.02...

Dan:fish:
Yeah, I'm really tired of mono, been holding out for color. I have a handheld gps, so that portion is optional.
Huron River Dan said:
and buy a color sonar/gps unit. The monochrome is nearly impossible to see from anywhere but right in front of it.

My $0.02...

Dan:fish:
The Furuno and RayMarine color digital units I have looked at appear to be in a class by themselves. That where my $500 will go.

Jim
1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.