Michigan-Sportsman.com banner

21 - 40 of 53 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,013 Posts
i use night mode and turn mine down to 6. We normally spend 10 hrs or so out on the bay. We punch holes about 6am and by 2:30/3pm I’m switching batteries out. Some people might be done by this time and say “my battery lasts a whole day”. I go by hours as many peoples definition of “all day” vary considerably. Once we finish chasing Walters, we might try for perch. Our days consist of 10/12hrs. If the 10amp hr lithium lasts 12hours and has 20% left in it I’d consider that a win for sure.

@Team Camo..... If you had to put a hour time frame on it. How many hours are you getting out of the 10amp hr and what’s the percentage when you call it quits for the day?
On Simcoe we hit it a first light and usually calling it quits when the sun is setting. Unfortunately I don't recall how much life is left. But this lithium is hands down awesome compared to the one that came with it. The old one would not even come close to lasting all day. Even with the light turned way down I was finding myself turning it off to make it last while we were out. I did have another battery box I brought with me last year with the old battery just in case the lithium did not hold up...never had to touch it.

·
Registered
349 Posts
Also, not sure if you guys are aware but they release software updates for the helix units on humminbirds website. They normally release updates for the units every September which fix and update issues in the software. I update mine yearly. Just a fyi if you guys aren’t aware of them.

·
Registered
4,878 Posts
Thanks for the info all. Ordered the Dakota 10AH and charger for my Helix 7. Can’t wait to try it bring on the ice!

Sent from my iPhone using Michigan Sportsman
U and me both....I got the ice bird 7 gen 3..I’m wondering how good the maps really are though..should I order the high definition maps?..mainly want for Lake Erie and Saginaw bay..there not that expensive..just wondering how big a difference it is..by looking at everything it can do it’ll probably take me a few yrs to master it..

·
Registered
106 Posts
If you have Milwaukee or Dewalt tools and of course have the batterie you can ger an adaptor that steps down the voltage from 18 to 12 volts. Just need to wire it up. I have a 5 AH Milwaukee battery on my Laurance 7 hook2 and it last all day, 8 hours. Need to keep the brightens down of course.

·
Registered
3,211 Posts
Discussion Starter #32
Update: I bought the Dakota 10ah and have so far put about 7 hours on it, and my kid also put a few hours on it while he was farting around on my pond. Hasn’t came off of 100% yet. Taking it out again today after work for 5-6 hours. Def woulda killed my old battery for sure. Gonna keep rocking it uncharged and see how far I can go with it. But so far the best $100 I’ve spent. Oh and I kept my brightness on 8.

·
Registered
186 Posts
Update: I bought the Dakota 10ah and have so far put about 7 hours on it, and my kid also put a few hours on it while he was farting around on my pond. Hasn’t came off of 100% yet. Taking it out again today after work for 5-6 hours. Def woulda killed my old battery for sure. Gonna keep rocking it uncharged and see how far I can go with it. But so far the best $100 I’ve spent. Oh and I kept my brightness on 8.
Well now I’m sold on buying one for my Helix 5 for next ice season

Reactions: Papa Liver

·
Registered
12,717 Posts
Glad to see yer still alive, haven't heard from ya!

·
Registered
186 Posts
Once it finally dipped down from 100% did it go from 100 to 99, 98, 97 etc or did it go from 100 to 93 or something like that? With the battery that came in my Helix 5 it will stay on 100% for two hours or so then jump down to 93%. Then it will more accurately track how much battery it has and go down by a single percentage or two every 15 minutes. Curious as to what it’s like with those Dakota/Amped Outdoors batteries.

·
Premium Member
1,013 Posts
Once it finally dipped down from 100% did it go from 100 to 99, 98, 97 etc or did it go from 100 to 93 or something like that? With the battery that came in my Helix 5 it will stay on 100% for two hours or so then jump down to 93%. Then it will more accurately track how much battery it has and go down by a single percentage or two every 15 minutes. Curious as to what it’s like with those Dakota/Amped Outdoors batteries.
Not sure you are going to get the answer your looking for. He77 I know I used the Dakota on Simcoe last year. My old battery would come no where to lasting all day. The Dakota did hands down. Don't remember percentage drop at all...once I'd seen it wasn't draining like the original I stopped paying attention. You will not be disappointed.

·
Registered
186 Posts
Not sure you are going to get the answer your looking for. He77 I know I used the Dakota on Simcoe last year. My old battery would come no where to lasting all day. The Dakota did hands down. Don't remember percentage drop at all...once I'd seen it wasn't draining like the original I stopped paying attention. You will not be disappointed.
Sweet maybe I’ll pull the trigger sooner than I originally anticipated. Really hate trying to conserve battery power while I’m out on the ice...I’d much prefer to not even think about it like you said lol

21 - 40 of 53 Posts