Michigan Sportsman Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How are things doing on hubbard right now? Very much action? Hoping to get there tomorrow for some walleye. Where is the hot spot? What lure is the most hit? What kind of leader do you use on your line?

·
West Mi supporting member
294 Posts
Coon,
Haven't been on Hubbard yet this year but will be up there next wednesday for a few days. Last year we had good luck with hopkins spoons tipped with a blue shiner or just a head. usually dont fish with a leader but I'm planning on using a short (18-24") flourocarbon leader at Hubbard cuz the water clarity is so good. Heard guys say they did well with the buckshot rattle spoons on Hubbard too. If your using tipups try a #12 or 14 treble hook with a sinker about 6" up from hook to keep the bait where ya want it. Check with Ed at East Bay Outfitters, He was a big help to us last year and had Great bait too.
Good Luck and please post how ya did when ya get back.

·
Registered
1,076 Posts
I parked at the access road just north of Hardwood pt on sat p.m....And I just want to thank the guy with the red dodge and quad who smashed into my front quarter panel and then just took off....I will give you 3 days to contact me, otherwise I will turn you in to the law...I saw your name on your shack......

·
Registered
4,769 Posts
Saturday 1/17 fished daylight to dark at the south end, ended up with 5 walleye for 3 guys. The weather was pretty miserable - until about 2:30 you couldn't see very far due to heavy snowfall. All the fish came on tip ups in about 44 fow. We were next to a few other guys, they had about the same results. Sunday we tried East Bay for a couple hours in the late morning. We didn't do anything in 17 fow. There were a few people picking up some smaller perch in 6 fow.

I measured 7" of good clear ice on the south end, East Bay may have had a little more, but the weight of the snow was bring water on top of the ice. The snow was a good 8 - 10" in most places. Saturday we had a tough time pulling our sleds with the ATV (2X4) - the ice is pretty slick and the snow wasn't sticking to it at all. On Sunday I used the snowmobile and did much better - actually hooked my 4' X 8' utility trailer to the back of it and it pulled fine with 2 guys on the sled and one in the trailer.

Tom22, how far north was the access you're talking about? I'm right next door to the "launch" on the west side -

·
Registered
1,076 Posts
We were at the little access rd. that is just south of Poppys....If you live next door to that rd..Maybe you can watch for the guy with the red Dodge pick up with a quad in the bed, He has a permanent shack out from Hardwood Pt........Thanks...We also got 5 fish sat p.m. in 24fow........

·
Registered
1,057 Posts
Tom22 give me the guys name and I can contact the local sheriff for that county as im friends with him. Im sure we can get some information on him and see about a visitation. PM me with the info and I will take care of it for you.

Grizzly.

·
Registered
1,076 Posts
Thanks Grizz, check your p.m.s...Maybe between a few of us we can nail this a#$$....Although I am giving him 2 more days to be a man and step up and get ahold of me...Tom

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
We went to a little lake that we were told could be good (Beaver Lk) instead of Hubbard. It was bad fishing. I caught several small perch all throw backs. Too bad about Tom's smashed truck.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts