Michigan Sportsman Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
9,392 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Pretty hard to convince me, that there's some kind of severe problem with the economy, after I took a quad ride to the lake yesterday and seen the parking lot at the north end, filled to capacity and people parking in the grass.

That said.......... for those of you that have boats, and in peticular inboard/outboards, there's a proper way to start the engines..... SAFELY!

Open the engine hatch and try to smell for gas fumes. Run the blower for a minimum of 5 minutes PRIOR to starting your engine. Easily done prior to launching and the ONLY SAFE WAY. A guy yesterday learned the lesson the hard way. Fortunately his family wasn't on board yet.

I had just left the north end launch, after taking an afternoon quad ride. When leaving, a couple that lives close to the launch went buy on their motorcycles, so I followed them to their house and set on their deck talking with them. While doing so, we heard one hell of a bang. Figured it was someone with those bombs called "firecrackers".

Got a call from that friend last night and he told me that the bang that we heard, was a guy that didn't inspect his engine compartment or, run his blower, and attempted to start his boat at the launch. The boat blew up!!! Evidently no one other than him was on the boat when he turned the key. From the conversation that I had, it appears pieces of boat went flying in every direction. The guy was burned on his legs.

I wasn't wittness to this and glad I wasn't. But, I was told it was a local guy. Anything more than this, I do not know yet.

PEOPLE WITH IO's (inboard/outboards), there's a proper way to safely start them. Reading the manual is a start. Once you get to that launch, inspect inside the engine compartment for gas fumes, run the blower for at least 5 minutes prior to turning the key. Don't turn what you want to be a fun day on the lake, into a disaster.

·
Registered
8,420 Posts
Yah, I heard about that shortly after it occurred on sunday.......scary stuff...........although I believe it was a malibu ski boat, which technically makes it a inboard encore.......NOT AN I/O :lol: Process is all the same though. Since I wasn't there, I can't speculate on the cause of the problem, but first thought was if the blower was running perhaps he has a leak somewhere in the bottom. Hard to believe a blower running on a boat would still cause it to blow up like the news report stated...........as for the struggling economy..........there were hundreds of boats out in saginaw bay in 08/09, when we were at the peak of the economic collapse........its the haves/have nots. I'm sure there are plenty of people who sold boats or shelved them do to the economic collapse, the boats at the launch are the priveledged. That being said, I think the economy is turning around SLOWLY.

·
Premium Member
9,392 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yah, I heard about that shortly after it occurred on sunday.......scary stuff...........although I believe it was a malibu ski boat, which technically makes it a inboard encore.......NOT AN I/O :lol: Process is all the same though. Since I wasn't there, I can't speculate on the cause of the problem, but first thought was if the blower was running perhaps he has a leak somewhere in the bottom. Hard to believe a blower running on a boat would still cause it to blow up like the news report stated...........as for the struggling economy..........there were hundreds of boats out in saginaw bay in 08/09, when we were at the peak of the economic collapse........its the haves/have nots. I'm sure there are plenty of people who sold boats or shelved them do to the economic collapse, the boats at the launch are the priveledged. That being said, I think the economy is turning around SLOWLY.
The blowers have to be U.S. Coast Guard approved. No spark. You're right, process is the same with either. There must have been one heck of a gas leak someplace, to create enough fumes for it to blow. Just glad nothing worse happened.
I was down there just a short before it happened. That launch was full of trailers, people were parking on the sides and in a couple cases, double parked. LOTS OF TRAFFIC at the north end. People were launching and retrieving like crazy. The beach (water) was full of swimmers. Haven't seen this many people in a long time. However, it was hotter than hell out too.

It'll be nice for the north end, if they ever get the money from that grant to fix up the park. There's a lot of it not being utilized and more people, may mean more money for the few local businesses. I've always thought it huge waste, to have 50% of the park un-usable.

Just wish there was some fish in that lake.......

·
Registered
489 Posts
I've seen this issue caused by not wanting to spend the extra money on marine grade starters and alternators. "It's the same as my truck's, why is it so expensive?" It ain't the same. Marine electric components are sealed and brushes jumping and arcing in a bilge can be bad.

CrashAxe

·
Registered
2,988 Posts
It'll be nice for the north end, if they ever get the money from that grant to fix up the park. There's a lot of it not being utilized and more people, may mean more money for the few local businesses. I've always thought it huge waste, to have 50% of the park un-usable.

Just wish there was some fish in that lake.......
I agree. Its sad to see such a big piece of property and only about 10% of it is actually used. Then at the south end they fill in some wetlands to move a launch. Its a little easier launching into the river than it was on the lake side if it was rough but if its too rough to launch then its gonna be pretty rough fishing too.

·
Premium Member
9,392 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
There ain't no fish in Hubbard Lake.........

All those trailers were from "pleasure" boaters, on water skies, sleds, tubes and such. There's been more activity on the lake this year, than I believe I've seen in at least three years. Economy good, bad, or indifferent, there's been a ton of people up this summer.

·
Premium Member
29,967 Posts
I hear there's dink perch up there you can catch, thats about it. Maybe and eye if your lucky:rolleyes::lol:

·
Registered
4,544 Posts
How are you doing George? Anymore problems?
Get a hold of me for an evening trip sometime.;) I like not catching fish.

·
Premium Member
9,392 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
How are you doing George? Anymore problems?
Get a hold of me for an evening trip sometime.;) I like not catching fish.
Optamologist states things aren't getting any worse, which is a good thing. Still expierencing some flashes of light at night but, at least the vertical heat waves are gone.

Kicker is giving me problems and has since new. Its gotten worse, which in turn has added to my frustration with it. Waiting for the call that the new carb is in, which I hope to heck corrects the problem entirely. If not.... the dealer has already told me that they will approach the manufacturer about an entirely new motor. Nice to have a dealer that will back the customer like that.

I'm not to happy with the manufacturer and I don't think that the dealer is either. Its been two (2) weeks since they ordered the new carb and it still hasn't arrived to the fricking dock!!! Can't understand that, not even for a moment. The most popular motor that they manufacture, and they can't get a new carb to the dealer..... :rant:

1 - 11 of 11 Posts