Michigan-Sportsman.com banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
5,297 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Been looking at Hub Shelters. Wondering about the care for them when they get wet from weather conditions? Packing them away wet does not sound like a good idea. Would you have to set them up at home to dry them out? Or just bring the bag into the house? Was out with a bud once and he left his old style Minute Man out in the cold after it got wet with snow. We had a heck of a time getting it open because the melted water froze during the night. Just curious.

·
Registered
5,264 Posts
Polyester + vinyl fabrics do not like to be folded up and frozen... asking for it to tear! Strong Nylon (like 600D) is much more tear-resistant and you might be able to get away with folding it up with moisture/snow in it.

I try to set mine back up each time I take it out so that it can air out and let excess snow / moisture out of it.

The other problem you can run into storing it wet is mildew.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Here's a tip that will get you taken care of, purchase a tube of clear silicone caulking empty the entire tube contents in a container (like a used clean 3 Lb. plastic coffee container) add enough mineral spirits to the silicone until it becomes a light soupy consistency. With the hub shelter set up liberally paint the entire fabric surface using a paint brush with the mixture and allow it to thoroughly dry. It's best to do it in an environment that is around 60 to 70 degrees. Then let it dry. A heated Garage or Basement this time of the year is the best place to accomplish the task. You can also apply a second coat using another tube of caulking and mineral spirits mixture to the inside, allowing sufficient time to let it to dry. It is amazing how well it blocks moisture, repels water and blocks the elements from having an adverse affect on the fabric. You can also spend a significant amount more by purchasing other commercial products that are sold as camping tent repellants or sealers.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts