Michigan Sportsman Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
13,901 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I posted this question in the general sound-off forum, and the camping forum, but got no responses. So I'm gonna try it here knowing that a lot of you folks haunt the west side of Saginaw Bay. Anyone here camped at Hoyles Marina in Linwood before? Thinking about leaving a trailer there for a while next fall during duck season and wondered what kind of experiences guys have had there? How about the boat launch there...any thoughts, good or bad? Thanks for any input you have.

·
Registered
2,792 Posts
Three years or so ago, I planned on pre-fishing for a tourny for a couple of days and staying there during the contest. Checking the website and a phone call later, I found out the site (tent camping w/power for the boat) was quite HIGH - Gee OK atleast I'll be right there :16suspect . Then I asked - that includes the ramp fee too? Oh No ! They wanted the $10.00 a launch per day :dizzy: !!!!! Needless to say, that I drove from Flushing each day to fish and I didnt launch from Hoyles. Have never tried it, but have heard Sunset Marina (think that's the right name) near Fish Point is resonable. Hope this helps - Bob

·
Registered
1,688 Posts
chamookman said:
Three years or so ago, I planned on pre-fishing for a tourny for a couple of days and staying there during the contest. Checking the website and a phone call later, I found out the site (tent camping w/power for the boat) was quite HIGH - Gee OK atleast I'll be right there :16suspect . Then I asked - that includes the ramp fee too? Oh No ! They wanted the $10.00 a launch per day :dizzy: !!!!! Needless to say, that I drove from Flushing each day to fish and I didnt launch from Hoyles. Have never tried it, but have heard Sunset Marina (think that's the right name) near Fish Point is resonable. Hope this helps - Bob

I will be brutely honest here. I kept my boat at Hoyles last summer for the first time, and have already paid for next years slip rental. I had no trouble with either the ramp or the channel, as each were adequate and deep enough all summer long. The dock and launch fees are higher there than in virtually any other marina on the Bay. But the close proximity to the good fishing made it worth it for me (last Year). Could that change next year? Anything is possible.

I also think the prices of the camping facilities and launch are over priced. Even though they are very nice, exclusive to the paying slip and camping customers, and have clean bathrooms and showers. The low water table on the Bay for the last few years has given Hoyles an advantage of sorts, and he both knows and takes advantage of it. This may come back to bite him if the water ever comes back. But realistically, he has no hidden costs, so you make the call on what you can afford and rather he's gouging or not. You would have very adequate access to some decent (marsh type) duck and goose hunting spots from Hoyles in the fall. I heard many shots and seen many layout set-ups during the early goose season when I'd leave the channel. :fish:

·
Registered
1 Posts
Great location in the early season for walleye, channel is always deep enough even for big boats, no ramp problems BUT dont ever bring your boat in for service there. I, and at least 3 other people I know have had bad experiences with thier service dept. Word is out to keep your boat away from thier mechanics.

·
Registered
1,688 Posts
1979Searay said:
Great location in the early season for walleye, channel is always deep enough even for big boats, no ramp problems BUT dont ever bring your boat in for service there. I, and at least 3 other people I know have had bad experiences with thier service dept. Word is out to keep your boat away from thier mechanics.

I will concur with this post as well I'm afraid. :sad:

·
Registered
13,901 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the comments guys. I did talk to them a bit this fall, but just wanted some honest info. Looks like a good facility as far as launching, and the camping area seemed good to. But yeah, I'm sure you pay for it too ;) . And regarding the marina over by Fish Point, yep, I know a bunch of guys that use that one. But we specifically want to be on the west side because that's where we duck hunt the most, all the way from Standish down to Bay City. Thanks again, and if anyone has more stories related to parking a camper or trailer there, please let me know.

·
Registered
774 Posts
Therer are a couple of things that frost me about Hoyle's.

First if you camp there, there is the additional fee for launching a boat AND a non refundable 10 dollar rest room/shower key deposit.

The second being the condition of his docks. They have continued to deteriate for what appears to me lack of upkeep over hte past 3-4 years.

I have had a better all round experience both on fish numbers and campsite cleanliness, cost, availability, quiet and anything else you can think of by fishing out of Au Gres and camping at the City Campsite right on the north side of town.

Actually the only positive thing that happened to me this year at Hoyle's was running to Capt. Dan and his sharing of one of his Home made rigs. Yeaper it really worked too.

·
Registered
1,066 Posts
Great Lakes Marina is just north of Hoyles about 15-20 miles. It's between Pinconning and Standish. I know they have dredged the channel and they have boats in there up to 30' or more. Not sure of their launch fees, and there is no camping there, atleast none that I know of. Also just north of Franks is Gambil's. Their launch fee is $5, but I'm not sure how large of a boat it will support. Looks like a tough turn around for anything much over 20'. There may be camping there, but I'm not sure. Au Gres is great for larger boats, the river is plenty deep, and the launch is big and in good shape.

Mike

·
Banned
2,047 Posts
You bet hoyles is a GOUGER gambils is shallow and narrow. River mouth is a pain in the butt where the idiots come out in full force. Won't be fishing the Bay to much looking foward to a excellent season on Erie. :lol: ;) :evil:

1 - 9 of 9 Posts