Michigan Sportsman Forum banner

How's the water/rivers looking

9K views 62 replies 15 participants last post by  TroutFishingBear 
#1 ·
my river, the grand, it's low for late may, i had my irrigation pump put in the river, had to put it on the end of a 10' boom to reach deep enough water, that doesn't happen until late summer, if at all, i can only wonder what it will look like in august, maybe i'll look on the bright side, the fish should b stacked up in the deeper water

#3 ·
I like it when the USGS Grand Rapids gage is right around 4'. As of right now, 17:47 5/20/21, it's at 2.0.
Let's just hope we don't get blown out by the next rain event. Can you imagine the debris that would come down if we got a real gulley washer?

#4 ·
the usgs site is orange/red dots for southern michigan,all rivers/stream(might have to walk to that deeper water this fall RB)

Reactions: riverbob
#6 ·
I haven't been on the Grand yet this year, but all the little creeks and streams I fish in Kent are down. Some worse than others. Hasn't affected the fishing yet, just easier wading, but I am fearful of what July and August could do to the water temps. We need some consistent rain.

#7 ·
Fishing this year for trout = nothing short of outstanding, in both sw and se mi...ive got 52 browns since the week before trout opener several brooks and bows too....imo fishing has been fast due to low water...i see every nook and cranny and cast the spinner like a surgeon and bam....
Next two years are gonna be slower tho, in the marginal streams, unless we get change quick...definitely some trout will die over the summer...in fact im largely done targetting them, had planned to swing by a SE MI stream after work today, but it was 91 degrees and water was like 30 cfs so i elected not to...these grand tributaries are less marginal but i think if the weather and water stays the same prolly this weekend and next should be the last fished as well, until it cools down and we get rain. My opinion anyway. I could be wrong. Im new to this watershed only fished her 6 mos so far

#12 ·
gee bill, that don't sound good, the river is low, seen a couple boaters with there motor up, drifting down stream (bottom hitters) doesn't look good, on a bright side, this is my best year for gills, n the eye fishing has started picking up, i sure hope there's enough water, so the steel n salmon can make it up to me, i guess i'll have to start my rain dance,,, even tho i live in a flood zone

#13 ·
I hit my usual haunts Friday and Sunday mornings. Lots of spawning rock bass and four small SMB, but the quantity and quality of smallies is down this year. River still low and those wonderful cottonwood trees still fowling my line and making me sneeze.

On a more positive note, the homemade chatterbaits are producing hits. I’d rather lose 25 cents than $5 in the river.

#21 ·
Just got back from checking out a local stream. Figured the cooler weather past few days and rain today would make it safe to fish. Maybe 18" visibility and level was still plenty low, but I didn't find any temps above 62. Threw the mouse a couple dozen times with no luck, Joe's Flies in brown trout proved to be the winner. Landed 5 fish in my short trip, this guy was the biggest at 13", all fish were spunky and swam off fine. We need more rain.

Hood Food Yellow Ingredient Fish

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.