Michigan Sportsman Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My family and I are renting a cottage on Hubbard Lake in the first week of July and I will be bringing my boat. I was just wondering what kind of fishing to plan for our trip. Any help is greatly appreciated. Thank you in advance.

·
Registered
5,032 Posts
Welcome aboard MonsterShanty !

Ya might want to ask this question over in the "Warm Water" forum or just ask a moderator to move this one over there.

A member named Eastbay Ed has a place on Hubbard and I'm sure as soon as he see's this he'll help ya out.

Good luck!

·
Registered
4,769 Posts
You'll have a great time at Hubbard in July. I grew up in the area and know some of the cottage owners - good bunch of people. July is a good month to drag bottom bouncers during the day and cast body baits at night for walleye. The lake has a good population, but finding size can be a challenge. Get a map of the lake showing the contours, 14 to 18 fow near breaks along the east side of the lake is a good place to start trolling. The lake also has a good small mouth population, if you're bringing the family - bobber fishing at the southend (near mud bay on the map) is good up along the reeds. Last year was the first year in some time that perch off the docks reappeared. They ran pretty small, but who knows what this year will bring. Since you mentioned the first week of July, I'll say be prepared for some jet skis, skiers, and drunken boaters...I'll try to stay away from you:D On a more serious note though, you'll be in for some great fireworks couple days before and after the 4th - some of the lakeshore owners really get into it....don't leave your boat at the dock over night unless it's fireproof!

·
Registered
585 Posts
I've lived on hubbard in the summers my whole life. Its a great time in july to be out on the water but the fishing has usually been slow that time of year. I have a cottage on the east shore ( hence the name east shore jon) and fish all the time. I usually target the smallies throughout the summer and always catch and release. Theres usually one or two bonus walleye. Night fishing usually is the best because of boaters and jetskis. Good luck

Jon

·
Registered
180 Posts
FF & ESJ, You guys make it sound like there are alot of jet skis and boats out on Hubbard. On a holiday weekend we don't have anywhere near the numbers of them that most southern Michigan lakes have. Although there are alot more than a few years ago:(. Don't scare the poor guy away now. Summer is my time to work (hopefully) so I can't help much with the July info, east bay ed should be back from Florida soon and I am sure he can give some more info. Good luck and maybe I will see ya on the lake, I will be in the crowd FF warned you about.;) BOLO

·
Registered
330 Posts
We plan on being there most of July. The wife's family has owned a cottage on the south shore for over 30 years. We just bought a place about five miles north of the lake, and will be redoing the kitchen this summer. Plan on retireing and moving up there next spring.

·
Registered
9,762 Posts
east bay ed will be able to help ya out, and i can tell ya what i learned last year (not much, but its something).

I'll pm ya the details, other than make sure to wear sunblock cause you can and will get sun poisoning that will make you miss the most productive time of day to fish.

steve

·
Registered
1,035 Posts
Cotton Road Kid here! I have been going to Hubbard Lake for 49 years. When I was a kid the PERCH were plentiful and BIG!

That was years ago. The only time I fish Hubbard during the summer is at night!

Long Line and troll crank baits, like Hot & Tots, Heddon Crawfish, Tadpollies, ect.

I like to start in 25 feet of water and move up and down the bank until I find em.

In July around 11p.m. they should be in 10 to 15 feet of water.

Don't waste your time during the day, unless it's from sunrise on a cloudy day till about 9a.m.

Good Luck!

·
Registered
1,332 Posts
ms,
back from the warm weather of florida.
july and august are some of the best months to fish hubbard for walleye. find the thermocline and you will find fish. pull cranks and snaps or crawlers and bottom bouncers on the bottom and you will find fish. smallies are also aboundant in hubbard lake. look for weeds in 10' to 15' of water or any structure in that depth and you will find smallmouth bass.
your best bet is to stop by the shop when you get into town and i can give you a better idea of current conditions.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts