Michigan Sportsman Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
292 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am heading up north this weekend to do some yote hunting. I have heard that howling works well this time of year due to mating season. Problem is....I have no clue how. Are there any calls that anyone can recommend? I have a J/S e-caller but am willing to try a mouth call. Also, what type of calling sequence should be used? Do you howl along with distress calls or in place of them? Will the coyotes answer you? Does howling work in daylight hours? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
1,337 Posts
Howling is the way to go this time of the year for coyotes, however it's not something you can do without practicing. I would suggest buy a howler that comes with an instructional tape, practice for a while then try it.
Don't howl if you are after fox also for obvious reasons. Most guys do a few lone howls, wait a while and then go to some kind of distress. They don't always answer back, especially if it is kinda cold out, but this does not mean thet they are not coming. also Use your wind wisely because they are going to circle to see who the new guy is in town.
good luck,
BVW

·
Registered
292 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the reply. I was a little worried about using a call that I had not perfected. That's why I was leaning toward a tape for the e-caller. I don't think there is much chance of seeing a fox where I'm going so I think will try the howling. I'll post next week and let you know the results.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts