Michigan Sportsman Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I suspected poaching for more than a few years due to time of shots and all the serious decline of the local herd. Last night it was confirmed by the landowner that someone was shooting deer with a gun from my treestand on private property. The land these guys hunt is the Harry Melanowski (if he still owns it) farmland that is bordered by D-19, Davis, and Coon Lake roads south of Howell. I have already placed a call with RAP. If anyone on here has any info please response or PM.
Thanks,
Joe

·
Registered
7,921 Posts
So I suspected poaching for more than a few years due to time of shots and all the serious decline of the local herd. Last night it was confirmed by the landowner that someone was shooting deer with a gun from my treestand on private property. The land these guys hunt is the Harry Melanowski (if he still owns it) farmland that is bordered by D-19, Davis, and Coon Lake roads south of Howell. I have already placed a call with RAP. If anyone on here has any info please response or PM.
Thanks,
Joe
I am not doubting any of this, but was just wondering what the evidence was.....

·
Registered
2,141 Posts
Whoa this is bad news for sure. Might want to get the facts together. Your saying the land owner confirmed they shot out of your blind, then you say your not sure if harry owns it? Its early, maybe I read your post wrong? Good luck, hope they get them.

·
Registered
222 Posts
That seems pretty ballsy to me. You trespass onto private land, sit in a tree stand where all those familiar with the land know, and then shoot deer with a loud gun during bow season? Either I'm missing something here or this guy is just asking to get caught.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I am not doubting any of this, but was just wondering what the evidence was.....
I need to get out there and help get more information, but that is the responsibility of the CO.

Ok you called RAP, wheres the need for help?
Maybe another local has information that can light a fire under the CO. They were less than enthusiastic about my call.

Whoa this is bad news for sure. Might want to get the facts together. Your saying the land owner confirmed they shot out of your blind, then you say your not sure if harry owns it? Its early, maybe I read your post wrong? Good luck, hope they get them.
No, I hunt adjacent land to the farm. They access Harry's land and go from there.

The initial response from the RAP line was "Well we might get back with you and it could be after deer season. We're really busy right now." I though that is why they upped the license fees and hired 30+ more CO's this year. The problem is that the spots these guys park at is hidden from the road so I would have to tresspass myself to get the plate #'s. That in itself could be walking into a hornet's nest if these poachers get p!ssed

·
Registered
7,921 Posts
The initial response from the RAP line was "Well we might get back with you and it could be after deer season. We're really busy right now." I though that is why they upped the license fees and hired 30+ more CO's this year. The problem is that the spots these guys park at is hidden from the road so I would have to tresspass myself to get the plate #'s. That in itself could be walking into a hornet's nest if these poachers get p!ssed

That is disappointing to hear.

The other thing that they told me a few years ago is that they (RAP :Line) told me was not to confront the trespassers.

·
Registered
2,157 Posts
Is the shooting at night? There is a permit that farmers can get that allow the taking of deer with the depredation tag with a firearm during certain times of the bow season. We had them on the farm I hunt up here last season. actually there was only about 3 weeks(last week of OCT till gun opener) of during bow season that we couldn't shoot them with a rifle.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Is the shooting at night? There is a permit that farmers can get that allow the taking of deer with the depredation tag with a firearm during certain times of the bow season. We had them on the farm I hunt up here last season. actually there was only about 3 weeks(last week of OCT till gun opener) of during bow season that we couldn't shoot them with a rifle.
That's a possibility. Actually due to this post someone did contact me that has knowledge of the situation and knows the current land ownership. That is the help I was looking for. Thanks for all the replies

·
Premium Member
4,612 Posts
Send me a PM with the time/date you called. If what you put in your post was exactly what the operator said, it does not sound like a response that I would want to hear is going out to someone that calls in.....

·
Premium Member
1,820 Posts
The initial response from the RAP line was "Well we might get back with you and it could be after deer season. We're really busy right now." I though that is why they upped the license fees and hired 30+ more CO's this year. The problem is that the spots these guys park at is hidden from the road so I would have to tresspass myself to get the plate #'s. That in itself could be walking into a hornet's nest if these poachers get p!ssed[/QUOTE]

I'd sure be interested to know exactly how this turns out. I had a situation 3 years ago in Delta County when I called the RAP hotline, I never got a call back. This didn't sit well with me at all, so after waiting a week, I moved up the chain to voice my disgust (e-mailed Rodney Stokes) and things got rolling fast. He actually called me at 10 pm the night of my e-mail. I had the head of the law enforcement division calling first thing the next morning and the CO's called a short time later. Unfortunately they never made progress on the poaching I witnessed because of their super slow mo response. I hope it's not still a broken system.

Reactions: kaniff89x
1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.