Michigan Sportsman Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Second Video on Pautzke Borax. We Stock All The Salmon Steelhead River Fishing Gear You Need. Come See Us!!
[ame="http://youtu.be/TaV_giDL6fk"]http://youtu.be/TaV_giDL6fk[/ame]

·
Banned
86 Posts
Anyone who leaves them in the fridge for a year.....let me no how the fish like your SKANK.....

Posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire
I have a friend that I gave loose king salmon eggs to in 2007 and he's still getting steelhead at 6th st dam on them to this day. Refrigerator kept too. Cure them right and they'll last forever.

·
Registered
13,860 Posts
I don't cure loose Salmon eggs for Steelhead fishing, and I don't use Salmon skein for Steelhead fishing. But I do cure Salmon skein for Salmon fishing. Once cured, it is perfectly fine in my fridge for the next year. Sometimes I would swear I get more bites on year-old cured Salmon Skein spawn than I do with fresher stuff.

·
Registered
693 Posts
I have been experimenting with a lot of different cures and I am trying to master what I am calling 'egg management'.

I did exactly what Tyler did in the video with the exact same cure and my eggs got very watery and very soupy really quick. They didn't toughen up very much, I could not scrape them off the Skien with out them breaking super easy and they didn't tie good sacs. The eggs that did toughen up were almost over cured...and turned out really weird...they got dark.

Wizard cure turned out even soupier and nastier...I did catch some fish on it though.

I have tried a lot of recipes this fall and so far the year old eggs cured with homemade recipe has been out fishing every thing at least 2-1.

·
Registered
2,895 Posts
I have been experimenting with a lot of different cures and I am trying to master what I am calling 'egg management'.

I did exactly what Tyler did in the video with the exact same cure and my eggs got very watery and very soupy really quick. They didn't toughen up very much, I could not scrape them off the Skien with out them breaking super easy and they didn't tie good sacs. The eggs that did toughen up were almost over cured...and turned out really weird...they got dark.

Wizard cure turned out even soupier and nastier...I did catch some fish on it though.

I have tried a lot of recipes this fall and so far the year old eggs cured with homemade recipe has been out fishing every thing at least 2-1.
It happens to all of us. I have found big lake skeins are the most difficult to deal with, and cure. You have to take the utmost time removing every drop of blood, which I did not cover in the vids, and even then you will never get it all. The reason the Wizard cure turned out soupier and nastier, is because the eggs had became burned due to the sulfates. But burned eggs catch fish just the same, just more of a pain to handle.

·
Registered
693 Posts
It happens to all of us. I have found big lake skeins are the most difficult to deal with, and cure. You have to take the utmost time removing every drop of blood, which I did not cover in the vids, and even then you will never get it all. The reason the Wizard cure turned out soupier and nastier, is because the eggs had became burned due to the sulfates. But burned eggs catch fish just the same, just more of a pain to handle.
These particular eggs had no blood and the fish was bled prior to cleaning. That is a good point though for others trying to learn...there is a HUGE difference in eggs from a bled fish and eggs from a non bled fish. Always bleed your fish if you are eating them or want the eggs.

I am not saying the name brand stuff is bad...I just had a bad first experience and I am reluctant to try again when I have homemade cures that I can trust not to ruin eggs.

·
Banned
86 Posts
These particular eggs had no blood and the fish was bled prior to cleaning. That is a good point though for others trying to learn...there is a HUGE difference in eggs from a bled fish and eggs from a non bled fish. Always bleed your fish if you are eating them or want the eggs.

I am not saying the name brand stuff is bad...I just had a bad first experience and I am reluctant to try again when I have homemade cures that I can trust not to ruin eggs.
And I'll take the bloodiest skeins you got! Seems wasteful to me for you to throw away, and I will use them!

·
Registered
893 Posts
Curing eggs is soooo easy.

Scrape or use skeins. Use a borax cur generously. Leave in a zip lock at room temp for 1 or 2 hours. Juices will seep out of eggs. Move them around so all cure/juice gets on all eggs.

Set in fridge with bag open for 24 hours. That equals rock solid eggs.

The above is for borax cures :)

·
Registered
347 Posts
Sooooooo,
since I finally scored a big doe king stuffed with roe, and I cured the eggs with Fire Cure since that's all I had on hand... now I have half a gallon of eggs that are (according to the video) good for salmon fishing but not for steelies?
Say it isn't so... or is it? Really?

And while we're on the topic, I'm planning to tie up bags between dime and quarter size with float beads inside. Is that a good plan for fishing them on a slip sinker rig or under a float with shot spread down the leader?

Thanks

·
Registered
2,895 Posts
Sooooooo,
since I finally scored a big doe king stuffed with roe, and I cured the eggs with Fire Cure since that's all I had on hand... now I have half a gallon of eggs that are (according to the video) good for salmon fishing but not for steelies?

And while we're on the topic, I'm planning to tie up bags between dime and quarter size with float beads inside. Is that a good plan for fishing them on a slip sinker rig or under a float with shot spread down the leader?

Thanks
Ive caught steelhead on both. But for sure more so on the Borxofire. I know allot of members here like to use just plain borax 20 mule team.

·
Banned
86 Posts
Sooooooo,

Thanks
You should have no issue catching fish on those eggs.

·
Registered
893 Posts
Sooooooo,

Thanks
I've caught steelies on that fire cure but without a doubt it doesn't work as well as the borax if fire. I bet if you sprinkle them with some sugar that would make them more effective. They say that steelhead like sugar. Some guys add a bunch of sugar to their borax of fire. Kings like the fire cure a lot more. Go catch another hen!

Posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire

·
Registered
1,752 Posts
Personally I like smaller bags unless the water is dirty. 4 egg bags are my norm. Floaters will work just fine with a bottom bouncing rig but you may have problems fishing them under a float. You may want to tie up some bags without them for that method.

·
Registered
347 Posts
Thanks for the replies & tips.
I'll be after another egg donor ASAP.
Sunday afternoon I tied up 50 or so of various sizes, some with and some without floaters, all with orange mesh. Barely put a dent in my supply of roe. Now I have some white and chartreus mesh so I can tie up a bunch more in those colors, probably enough to last until spring.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts