Michigan Sportsman Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
2,383 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay, even though my son and I did limit out on the Lake Saturday using cicadas, I was a little bit frustrated. Why? Because at the second place I tried, there was a boat there with 4 guys on it smackin' them pretty good on hair jigs-and my son and i couldn't get a hit! It looked like they were throwing them out and rapidly bouncing-jerking them back in. I tried it-nothing... I tried slow jigging-nothing..I tried with a minnow-nothing and i tried it with no minnow..yeah, you guessed it-nothing! What the heck were we doing wrong?

·
Registered
8,002 Posts
we did the same thing a few days ago. we were catching fish after fish on blade baits.so, we decided to try fishing hair jigs tipped with minnows and stinger hooks....NOTHING. not sure you are doing anything wrong, just a matter of what the fish want IMO. the way we were hitting them on hair jigs on the 10th was with a slow drag across the bottom...this was our BIG fish system. we caught ALOT of males on blade baits, but the bigger fish came strictly on the hair jigs. i am not an expert on fishing hair jigs, but that is how we caught them that day. hopefully, someone with more experience with hair jigs will chime in and help you out more than i can.:fish:

·
Registered
1,549 Posts
I know the feeling!! Same thing was happening to me Sunday out there. I don't even have any, so I pulled up to Reel Naughty (Thanks again guys) and got some from him. I did end up with two for the day on them, but every body around me was tearing them up on them. It gets frustrating.

I'm sure someone on here can give us a few tips.

Captain Jay

·
Registered
668 Posts
The biggest tip I can give is one that make zero sense;

You have to snap the jig up, similar to a blade bait but not as violent, and then let it free fall to the bottom. If you dont let it free fall, then you dont seem to do as well. Seems counterintuative, but it works. Other then that, I would still rather throw blades.

JD

·
Registered
1,032 Posts
JD hit it on the nose....snap it relatively as hard as you would a blade bait, but not as much, a little softer....and snap your rod 3-9 inches, then leave it slack and it will free fall to the bottom...let it sit on the bottom for about a one count then repeat the step....keep your rod tip a little up at an angle and pointed directly towards to lure while snapping it....this weekend they liked the short little 3 inch hops, earlier in the jig bite we were doing better jiggin it a little higher....the short hops seem to out produce the larger hops this year so far....just try different techniques and you will be putting on a show like the other boats...stay confident and dont quit...

all in all....GIVE ME A BLADE BAIT AND I AM HAPPY ! ! ! ! !

·
Registered
315 Posts
Hi,
Reelnaughty has it when he says to let the jig free fall and set for a second on the bottom before you jig it again.However I like to end up with my rod at about 10 oclock.With the rod up more I think the fish hang on the bait a little longer.

·
Registered
2,287 Posts
Interesting discussion guys. I was having the same problem on Sunday. I didn't have the right color blade bait (silver/blue), and it was pretty slow on my favorite chartreuse. I was by some guys who using purple hair jigs without minnows and they were boating fish left and right. I broke out my stash of the exact same bait, and nothing. it was indeed very frustrating. It makes me feel better when the vets like Captain Jay experience the same problem.

·
Registered
57 Posts
How you fish the Jigs varies. Sometimes you just raise your rod tip up and down a few inches and vertically jig. This method often works with minnows. Monday we caught a limit of walleyes in 45 minutes with purple hair jigs by casting them out and agressively bouncing them on the bottom raising the rod tip up and down about 3 foot without minnows.You could not have keep minnows on the hooks anyway. This works great when there are a lot of jacks in shallow water. They apparently grab that jig on the way down since they are just there on the next jerk. Stinger hooks are a must with this method as there are many short hits and you will lose fish. Monday they were hitting on almost every cast with this method. This is my first post on this forum. I fish out of Toledo Beach on Lake Erie in both Michigan and Ohio waters.

·
Registered
2,287 Posts
Gringo Loco...Welcome. I keep my boat at Toledo Beach also, a 24 ft Sea Ray named Creating Memories. We'll be out Staurday morning about 7am trying to troll up some bigger fish. Give us a holler on 69. Thanks for the jigging tips.

·
Registered
2,094 Posts
Hey Jim ,

Took a bike ride through our neighborhood with Danielle eariler this week saw the Lund in your driveway figured you were out . Glad to hear you got into some eyes . I still have my boat sitting in the driveway all tarped up . Crystal keeps bugging me she wants to go fishing , with her still in school and me working every Saturday and Sunday , looks like June before I float mine this year .

Larry

·
Registered
2,383 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Thank everyone for the information. Went out yesterday off Luna Pier and limited out in about an hour on.......HAIR JIGS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Using the technique described by Gringo Loco, I smacked 'em around pretty good. Also, like previously said-stingers are a must. All but one I caught were on the stingers.

Thanks guys!

Jim

1 - 20 of 20 Posts