Michigan-Sportsman.com banner

21 - 31 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
when I want to slow down speed, I just hit the - button on my I-pilot remote. Look at a good trolling motor. work great!!

·
Registered
354 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
Another vote for trolling bags. One off each side, attached to front cleat. Then another rope securing them to rear cleat so they don't drift out to the side. Simple as can be and out of the way about midship. You want them to go just a few inches under water on the fronts, then tie tear rope and wrap around cleat to take up slack until their straight and kept along boat. I've set up a few boats with them, and could help you on the water this weekend if you want. Last ones I got were pretty heavy duty from north woods and only $40. Get a size bigger than your boat calls for. When I drop my boat in gear, I idle at 1.3-1.5 with a 4.3 I.O...with no bags, 3.2 with a 21 pitch prop. A smaller prop would help also, I need a 19. If you too big of bags, your boat will burn more fuel working harder to get speed up to trolling speed also.

Ralph I will definitely take you up on the offer and take you out fishing and hopefully you can shed some of that knowledge in exchange of the fish we get. lol I'll get ahold of you once I'm all set up.

·
Banned
1,635 Posts
I used the buckets on my first boat, due to a lack of funds. I didn't put any holes in the bottom. I did put holes in the sides, where the wire handle normally is, so that I could take the wire off and put a rope on them. I had a wire handle fall off and lost a bucket! Putting rope on them eliminated that. They are about the cheapest thing you can use, until you get the funds for a trolling motor. I hooked them off the hooks used to pull skiers. they were on about a five foot ropes, one each side of the motor. When netting fish, we just netted them toward the side of the boat in the rear, so fish didn't tangle in the bucket ropes. I realize that method isn't the best but again, they worked until I could afford something else.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Yup. Take the handles off. I put mine out the sides. Don't like to store wet drift socks in my cabin. Holes in bottom help get them out of water.

·
Registered
577 Posts
bags until budget allows better. I utilize 4 different size bags, the stronger the wind and larger the waves the bigger bag i use, when waters are calm we go to the smaller bag. I just use a ski rope off the back and one bag. Pick your trolling line and most times I never have to steer due to the bag keeps the boat moving straight. Once we pick up enough fish and winds stay consistent make the route to the beginning and start the run over again. So yes I typically seldom have the opportunity to troll into the wind unless weather is calm. That method works well with me and a 17ft starcraft / two persons / working multiple lines.

·
Registered
14,616 Posts
I used buckets on my first bay boat until I got a bow mount. 17' walk thru with a 70 horse..I tied to the rear cleats and used a short rope. I could get under 1 mph. Always used the wire handles and no holes in the bottom. Only lost one bucket but I changed them before wires let loose.

Very rare that I went into the waves. Also remember, with wind at your back and using a boat with walk thru windshield, opening the center glass can drop a few mph points.

21 - 31 of 31 Posts