Michigan-Sportsman.com banner

21 - 41 of 73 Posts

·
Registered
3,146 Posts
One thing to think about too is how much time do you have to devote to setting up and taking things down upon arrival. I have mine set up now so that in less than five minutes of getting out of the vehicle I have heat rolling and electricity running if needed. About the same for locking up and going home.

Makes it real easy to buzz over for an afternoon hunt.

·
Registered
4,301 Posts
Talked to the building inspector where my property is. I can do a 12x16 portable shed without pulling a permit. Was debating on having it wired, comments here on that ended the debate.

·
Registered
630 Posts
I would use a vented propane wall heater and at least one gas light. The heat will be more consistent than using a wood stove and you won’t wake up freezing.

if you are in a sandy area, pound in a sand point well. Hauling water gets tiring.

·
Registered
10,634 Posts

·
Registered
184 Posts
Very interested in these. Any insights on Ogemaw County?

Don’t want to ask questions and draw additional attention. Location is not visible from the road.

I have been doing a lot of looking at prebuilt “cabins”, “playhouses” and “sheds”.

Anyone using recycling or incinerating toilets?

·
Premium Member
9,188 Posts

·
Registered
1,075 Posts
Those are really nice!! That is kind of what I have been bouncing around in my head for a couple years . I keep thinking I would love to get forty to sixty acres up north and make my from April 1st until after Christmas home just something small with easy up keep. Then the modular home in Florida in the 55plus community. I looked at the ones you guys have and I’m even thinking harder about it now.
Your photos are fabulous and exactly what I pictured in my head!!!

·
Registered
10,801 Posts
I should break down a buy another copy of Rutstrum's book , The Wilderness Cabin.
Yes the same one I've mentioned keeping a page I tore out pasted on the wall for years...

He had a good layout for a one room unimproved cabin.
I’ve still got that book, got a lot of good ideas from it when I was building my cabin.

·
Registered
2,915 Posts
Started my Journey on little cabin ownership on January 23rd when she was delivered to montmorency county and set on the family’s 80 acres names “Buckhorn Valley” in 1984 when dad walked the property to look at it he found a shed in the valley. I have named my quaint little 10x20 Heshack the “Button Buck”. She came from black dog farms in Remus MI and as I type this I’m still whittling away at getting it setup. It started with the first necessity heat and quickly developed to where I stopped today

To be continued.....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3,253 Posts
Those are cool little stoves but they don't hold fire for very long. By the way don't sit on the front lip when it's hot. It makes some nasty fried butt cheeks.

21 - 41 of 73 Posts