Michigan Sportsman Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been doubley blessed this year, in addition to being invited to hunt my uncle's prime farm in Ovid I've also been invited to hunt some very nice property in Cohoctah. My bosses in-laws want some deer taken from their property, my boss asked me if I'd be interested and I said "Hell yeah"!

I went out this past weekend for a tour of the woods/fields and it is a beautiful area. My boss showed me 3 stands I can hunt out of and they all look very promising. He said they will haul out any deer I take with tractor or quad.

I really know and appreciate how fortunate I am to be allowed to hunt on 2 different properties. I have 5 gallons of hard cider fermenting right now for my uncle because I know he likes that, but I'm wondering what I should do for my boss/his in-laws?

They have 10 beeves and 4 spring calves and they pull timber out of their woods and sell it for firewood. I've never been around cattle farms and I don't have a chainsaw. I'd like to do something nice for my boss for thinking of me and also let the actual landowner (his in-laws) know how much I appreciate their generosity. They already said they don't want any of the meat or antlers, they only asked that I take careful shots as they've had previous hunters wound animals and not recover them. To that end, I'm practicing regularly with my bow and have installed luminocks on my arrows to help identify shot placements and know whether to track sooner or later.

Any ideas would be appreciated. I might just tell my boss that I'd like to do something for his in-laws and what would he suggest. For him, I think a handful of cigars and a six-pack of nice beers would make him happy.

But if any of you have any favorite ways of saying "thank you, I appreciate this and please invite me back in the future" I'd love to hear them!

Thanks, good luck to you all!

·
Registered
3,664 Posts
A father/son who turkey hunt my farm always give me a TSC gift card even though I tell them I should be paying them for the service.

·
Registered
1,878 Posts
Before my good friend Matt passed, I would bring him dinners since he lived alone and my wife would always bake his favorite cupcakes. Duirng the summer I would stop in and visit him on a daily basis, all he asked for was a little company and someone to talk to. In the winter I made sure he had plenty of firewood spit and stacked for his wood stove. Just a little bit of gratitude can go a very long way. Good luck!

ST8

·
Premium Member
16,544 Posts
With it being hard to find good people who are willing to let folk hunt good land i would go all out like it was xmas or something. Treat them all to a nice fancy meal. Buy them all a turkey for thanksgiving. Get them xmas hams Find out if their out buildings need paint. Mend fences. Just shower them with gratitude. And make sure you uphold your end of the bargain by not wounding animals. Hire a dog if you need to recover deer.
Your hunting access depends on your appreciation.
A lease would run you 1000 bucks i would make sure you at least pay half that amount in work and gifts. Hunting access cant be replaced, but you can.

Sent from my SCH-S720C using Ohub Campfire mobile app

·
Premium Member
6,296 Posts
I think the best thing you can do for someone is to appreciate it all year. Don't show up at the end of September and expect to start looking around.
Baked goods seem to be a hit with the farmer whose land I hunt plus I do a lot of research for him. No computer for him.:)

·
Registered
995 Posts
Agree with a gift card for dinner or even step it up and get movie tickets too. The "other half" may like the dinner and movie idea.

As they said they didn't want anything related to venison. Bottles of wine or other potables could also be an option, if the enjoy those.

If they are against any of those gestures and tell you not to do so in the future, offer to make a donation to a charity of their chioce or their church.

As you develop your relationship the other opportunites to help with "work" may develop.

Sounds almost too good to be true.

For your boss a dinner gift card, bottle of wine/booze, or cigars (if he enjoys them) are all great gestures. Just watch company policies so you don't put him in a situation unintended.

·
Premium Member
9,394 Posts
Something that most will appreciate, is a LARGE fruit basket and its something just about everyone would be happy with. Dinner cards are nice but, they make people plan. One of the LARGE fruit baskets is a nice gift and they stay at home to enjoy it.

You go lucky....... ;)

·
Registered
1,542 Posts
Things I have done in the past, that went over well:

Offer to help out with small tasks (fix fences, post signs, cut grass, etc)

Restaurant gift cards, or prepared foods like fruit/meat trays or baked goods

Fresh great lakes fish (perch & walleye). If you have access to it, is sometimes can be a plus.

Fresh jerky, meat sticks or salami, from your successful hunt. Usually goes over well, even after them saying they don't want any. I let a property owner "try" some once, and ever since then, has never turned it away when offered or dropped off.

·
Registered
2,643 Posts
Every year my brother and I place an order through omaha steak company for the guy who lets us hunt his land in Ohio. He too said he didn't want anything but he sure appreciates a cooler full of steaks etc. Showing up at his house with a thank you note.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Ohub Campfire mobile app

·
Registered
36,082 Posts
What man doesn't like a good pocket knife? Rapid River Knife Works sell some beautiful folders. Made in Michigan plus they will lazer engrave anything you want on the blade or handle. Check out what lease prices are for hunting land and spend accordingly.
www.rapidriverknifeworks.com

·
Registered
10,050 Posts
A firm handshake and a really sincere heartfelt thank you was all I ever needed

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Wow, thanks! Those are all excellent ideas and you are all right about the costs of leasing good hunting land. I know how fortunate I am and I will certainly let them know that I'll be happy to help with any painting or odd jobs around their property. I also like the idea of a TSC gift card, I'm sure they need stuff from there all the time.

·
Premium Member
30,908 Posts
I have 2 different leases, 1 is new.
The older of the 2 leases I pay a premium price for so I would be justified in just writing a check once a year, but why stop there? The gentleman grew up in my area and now lives out of state. He grew up on real maple syrup so when a half gallon of Vermontville's finest shows up at Christmas along with a variety of jerkys, he's HAPPY HAPPY!
The new lease is a gentleman that spends most of his time working alone. I've found that stopping to visit for a few minutes each time out to the farm builds good will. I'm also including him in some of our "deer camp" events, like a walleye fry (he's never had it) this fall whenever possible and appropriate!
I just try to treat people like I'd like to be treated if I was in their shoes.

·
Registered
968 Posts
I'd stop by a few times a year and either drop off a small gift (Wine, Fish if you're a fisherman, dinner, etc) but also ask if there is anything you can do to help out because you appreciate the opportunity.

1) It lets them know that you aren't just saying thank you around hunting season.

2) You can "protect your turf". If someone else comes around asking about hunting, the last thing you want to be is out of sight and out of mind. They could innocently not think of you and you could lose your spot!

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Thanks for keeping all the good ideas coming, I sure appreciate them. I get the feeling that the landowners are somewhat private folks, but I think as they see me around and get to know me they'll warm up to me and then I'd feel more comfortable talking to them directly. Until then I will just continue to show my appreciation to my boss as he's the one who set me up with this opportunity.

Not only do I get the chance to hunt some prime land, but I have 3 ladder stands to choose from and he said any deer I get down just send him a text and he can haul it out with his tractor or quad. I feel really blessed for this chance, I had been praying for more opportunity to hunt and this offer just came out of nowhere. Well, I have faith that I know where it really came from ;)

Hope you all enjoy the same good fortune and happy hunting!

·
Registered
2,710 Posts
Everything above is great, especially to make sure you do it year round, even if its just social visits at times, that goes a long way. You dont need a chainsaw to help with firewood, just a strong back and weak mind and willingness to show up. Doing the hardest, least desired work for someone goes a long way in expressing appreciation. Biggest thing...find a way (because every person/landowner is different) that they know you appreciate what they are doing for you.

·
Registered
5,093 Posts
Chainsaws aren't that expensive get a good one and help out when you can or like they said tsc gift card . or a gas card everyone uses gas

1 - 20 of 22 Posts