Michigan Sportsman Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My brother wants to have a pig roast for his graduation open house and the folks want nothing to do with it. So, I'm trying to take this thing over for him and see what all it entails. I've never done this before so is it a bad idea to try and do this? I need to know how much a pig will cost, where to get one from, how to roast it, and basically anything else you guys think I should know. Thanks a lot guys,
Brandon

·
Registered
10,110 Posts
Brandaman said:
My brother wants to have a pig roast for his graduation open house and the folks want nothing to do with it. So, I'm trying to take this thing over for him and see what all it entails. I've never done this before so is it a bad idea to try and do this? I need to know how much a pig will cost, where to get one from, how to roast it, and basically anything else you guys think I should know. Thanks a lot guys,
Brandon
Hey I got a roaster and depending on the date if you invite me i will cook the pig for you.

It is alot of work, i cook 150 pound pigs for a roast in 6 hours.

Basically you want to cook it till it is 160 degrees internal temp.

Average pig will cost you anywheres from 1.50-2.00 dollars a pound, plus butchering, I can ask the guy where I get my pigs from what they are going for.

Let me know if you want me to get you any info. It would at least give you an idea of cost. If you need a roaster I can hook you up with mine for the weekend. Let me know you can pm me and we can talk.

Also you figure 1 pound of meat for every person that is going to eat. So if you feed 100 people you need 100 pound pig. That is just a rough estimate and I have never had to much left over but always had enough to make pulled pork barbeque sandwiches the next day to munch on.

·
Registered
11,728 Posts
If you are considering doing it yourself there are many web sites put up by pig roasting fanatics. Plenty of pictures and step by step instructions.

Jackson should be large enough city that you should be able to find businesses that will rent the equipment and supplies and supply the pig (or get your own pig). Check with a full service butcher/meat shop or with a butcher supply business.

Then there is "bigcountrysg" suggestion. And, that is a good one.

In Detroit there is the Eastern Market area and I have seen small dressed out pigs for under $1.50 but that was a year ago and with the increase in feed prices the cost of pigs will continue to go up.

·
Registered
3,263 Posts
If you don't want to do it yourself, call Merindorff's meats up in Mason. My wife and I had a pig roast a couple of years ago and we had them do it. Price was fair and the product was really good too plus they handle the clean up. Try calling A & A and the beef barn too. If they don't do it I'm sure they can get you in contact with someone that does it.

·
Registered
10,110 Posts
The prices I listed are last summers prices. I will be seeing the man tonight so I will get this years prices for you. At least that will get you a ball park figure on what you should pay for pig.

As for my roaster you may use it and cook it yourself. Or I am always up for a party.

·
Registered
11,728 Posts
bigcountrysg said:
As for my roaster you may use it and cook it yourself. Or I am always up for a party.
The best beer is a free beer and the best pig roast is a ......(sing along to the song by The Yoopers.;) )

·
Registered
14 Posts
Use this... no www - Just http: and .html at the end then this link.... I guess I can't post an actual link for 15 posts

cuban-christmas.com/pigroast

·
Registered
5,669 Posts
I tried it once. If I were doing it again, I would take BigCountry up on the offer in a heartbeat! Last time we did one we had a similar offer and with the guy that cooked it, his wife and two kids, they had a blast and we had an awesome pig.

·
Registered
10,110 Posts
Michigander1 said:
:yeahthat: Big seems to know alot about Pigs.:xzicon_sm
I done a few. In fact I got my own coming up Sept. 29th, My 30th B-day. well actually my B-day is the first day of autumn but can't celebrate it till the 29th.

I have done I don't know 6-10 in my time. I was like most of you I had an idea of how to do it. But now I have it down pat.

·
Registered
11,728 Posts
LivoniaDan said:
Use this... no www - Just http: and .html at the end then this link.... I guess I can't post an actual link for 15 posts

cuban-christmas.com/pigroast
Dan, is this the one I posted on a couple of the gun and firearms message boards?

Here is the link you provided:
http://cuban-christmas.com/pigroast.html

·
Registered
14 Posts
alex-v said:
Dan, is this the one I posted on a couple of the gun and firearms message boards?

Here is the link you provided: Won't allow me to keep this link!!!
emphasis mine...

Not sure of where I learned of it.... so maybe yes.... maybe no...... That page has been similar for quite some time.... maybe two years....... Always wanted to try... can't seem to get any help around my neighborhood.....

But I'll bet ... If I build it... They will come.....

·
Registered
3,281 Posts
you can do it..cuban style..many web sites will show you its fairly simple...i get my pigs from a freind and pay about 50 cents a pound on the hoof

last one i did was a little over 200 dressed...cooked for 24 hrs and was the best one ive done so far

over an inclosed pit....i used maple and some charcoal ...wood makes for a better taist but is harder and you need a separate fire to burn it down in

i figure 6 oz of meat per person,,,most figure 4 oz....as that is normal serving....200 pound pig will give you enough food for 100-150people...100 pound pig after cooking would only give you 30 pounds if that of meat

the 300+ one i did for my wedding reception gave us 3.5 roasters of meat any way you slice it bones skin and fat add up even a lean pig will lose a lot wieght during cooking in just fat and water thats cooked off

all that goes with out saying i will never try anything over 200 again lol too small hogs is quicker and better then one huge one

1 - 14 of 14 Posts