Michigan Sportsman Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1,114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been doing my own plots on my land for several years now with great success, but I dont leave them for longer than a year or two without moving things and rotating plants. On a new family parcel, Ive been put in charge of the plots for this year now ( a little late). The older plots are mostly clovers now, so I was thinking I would mow them down now, lightly disc, and add some seed and fertilizer this weekend. I was going to overseed with clover mix, and some brassica. Then over seed again in Sept with rye or oats.

I dont want to re-do all of them completely due to being early august already, and the growth is decent now even with lots of weeds. What should I fertilize with? I normally keeps lots of triple 12 or triple 19 handy. How much per acre? Id like to get them trhough the year, and maybe start fresh next year unless they are still doing well and I could just repeat this process for a couple years before re doing them all. There are 4-5 small plots 1/4 to 1/2 acre each. I have a tractor, disc, tiller, spreader, cultipacker, sprayer, etc. Whats the best plan? In SE MI.

·
Registered
204 Posts
On two of my food plots, worked the ground and re planted about half the plot. Had some bad weeds take over part of my plot. I did spray a week before and used no plow. Annual clover, cereal grains and some turnips. You are not to late in SE Michigan. Another plot on my Ohio property, spraying RU on the entire plot and planting wheat and clover Sept. 1. Wheat will be good this year, clover next year.... Mowing helps some of the weeds..... Have smart weed because of the wet spring......

·
Registered
2,901 Posts
personal expderience here: don't mix your brassicas directly in with clover. They won't grow that well. If you were to do strips or sections of each that would be a better plan IMO.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts