Michigan Sportsman Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
296 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have an 18' fiberglass bass boat (champion) with a 1982 150hp v-6 Blackmax mercury outboard. What is the best prop pitch for this setup - I'm not looking for top speed, but rather better low speed control and faster planing. The current prop is SS and I'd like to go to aluminum. How can you easily tell what pitch the existing prop is? Currently the boat will top out at 58mph, which is way faster than I need (40-45 would be adequate).

·
Premium Member
18,470 Posts
It should be stamped or marked on the prop somewhere. You may have to take it off but it's probably on there somewhere. Take a look and see if you can find a number or numbers stamped anywhere on it.

At this point you need to consider your RPM's. At wide open throttle, how many rpm's are you running. I don't know which motor you have but I would think that it's in the 5,000 to 5500 range. If so you should be all set. If you want a better "hole shot" you can reduce the pitch and this will make the boat get up on plane a little sooner but you'll lose some top end. Which sounds like what you want to do. But be careful, if you go too far you could over rev the engine when you go to WOT. If you do decrease the pitch just be careful and watch your rpm's when pushing the throttle up near it's limit.

John

·
Registered
413 Posts
1 - 4 of 4 Posts