Michigan Sportsman Forum banner

How to make a Shrimp rig

4K views 1 reply 2 participants last post by  swaprat 
#1 ·
Can anyone help me rig a shrimp rig for steal head? Pictures or wording will help me out a lot. Thanks

Chase

#2 · (Edited)
I have never had a shrimp thrown off the hook when casting. Of course I am really not casting that much when using shrimp for bait. I usually use them on a bobber sliding rig and slide them down the main line. I will do the casting using live or dead alewives though. I usually use a 1.5 oz. sinker when using a bottom rig for ale's. No need to use anything heavier.

Here is a crude illustration of the bobber sliding rig. It is used to keep your bobber from "wandering" when the piers are crowded. And as we all know... there are those that still let them "wander" regardless of how crowded it gets out there. :mad:

In box 2 all you have is on the main line you put a small bead. This is so that when the snap swivel of the sliding bobber rig slides down the main line it will rest against the bead. After the small bead... you can tie either either directly to your pyramid sinker or to a snap swivel which has your pyramid sinker attached to it. It is personal preference and I have done both.

In box 1 you have your sliding bobber rig. Usually anywhere from 3 to 6 or 7 feet long. It depends on how deep of water you are fishing and also depends on deep the fish seem to be running that day. We will go from the botton up. Obviously on the bottom you will tie on the hook of your choice on which your shrimp will reside. About a foot or so up from the hook is a splitshot. This is not necessary... but does get your bait down better. And yes... I have had days where sometimes I will get more bites without using the splitshot. There are also times that I will use a 6 to 7 foot leader and tie one hook on the bottom... attach the spitshot... and then tie in a 2nd hook on a dropper loop maybe halfway up from the first hook. It gets a 2nd hook in the water and covers more of the water column and there are days when they are feeding near the surface... and days when they are feeding deeper. The top of the sliding rig is tied to a snap swivel. And I clip on a weighted bobber to the bottom eye of the snap swivel. Here is the bobber that I use (although this can vary widely)...

I will buy the largest size bobber that is available which is about 3-4 inches and they can be found at Wally World or a number of other places.

The size of the hook I use depends on the size of the shrimp I am using. Usually with size 36-40 count (this is measured by the average number of shrimp it takes to make a pound) shrimp I will use a size 4 hook. Anything smaller... then I will go to a size 6 hook. And remember... the same size hook can vary depending on the brand.

The process is to put your shrimp on your sliding rig and then cast out your main line with pyramid sinker as far as you dare. Then with the snap swivel on the top of the sliding rig... snap it to your main line then let it slide down the main line until the bobber hits the water. When it hits the water I will let out a little more slack until the bobber just sits upright in the water. To get the rig out away from the pier some... I will hold the rod tip high as to allow the rig to slide down the main line further. But... there are days when the skams will be feeding in close to the pier and you don't want it sliding out too far. There have been numerous times I been down away from my rods talking to someone and we will see fish cruising in close along the pier... and the next thing you know you look for your bobbers out in the water and one of them will be missing!!! :yikes: And then it GAME ON!!

So... this is the sliding bobber rig. Yes... there are other ways... but this is somewhat of a tutorial on this rig. And yes... it does work!! :D

(By the way... this is NOT from this year!!)

This one went 15.00 lbs. exactly!!

Since there aren't any whitefish around this time of year.. might as well fish for these darn things!! :lol:

dont forget to thank donp for the drawling that and a few other guys i will get al ink tothe post in one minute any ways i use the pink shrimp not prawans like i seen this other guy using to fish for turtles out of season :rant:
the wrong color prawans are they are like a gray / clear and not the right color to look like spawn i cut them the pink shrimp in to little pieces to mimmic spawn. any ways best of luck to you hope this helps.

from this link

http://www.michigan-sportsman.com/forum/showthread.php?t=423927

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.