Michigan Sportsman Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
223 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This past weekend I once again had deer come within 50 yards of my hunting stand the last twenty minutes of legal shooting hours and walk around until shooting expired. I am always cautious entering/exiting my stands trying not to spook any deer. However when it comes time to leave the stand do you have any ways of getting the deer to move out of the area without spooking them and having them relate it to human activity? I was thinking maybe a soft turkey purr might get there attention but it isn't a sound that would push them to move on. Thanks for the input. I just hate leaving a stand at night and hearing snorting as a walk away.

Sent from my HTCONE using Ohub Campfire mobile app

·
Registered
2,950 Posts
I just wait them out. Sucks but they come back every evening

Sent from my SCH-I500 using Ohub Campfire mobile app

·
Registered
613 Posts
Hey Jay I'm glad you can find some time to make it to the stand with all the golf you play! Just light up one of those cigars we know you have in your pack. They'll be gone in no time ;):beer:

Sent from my MB886 using Ohub Campfire mobile app

·
Registered
14,675 Posts
Has anyone ever tried a coyote howl call?

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Ohub Campfire mobile app
Yes, that is the method I use.

Some claim that then causes the deer to associate that area as being "dangerous". I don't buy into that at all - coyotes are everywhere and deer cross paths with them all the time, and I see no reason to believe that a coyote howl has any impact on a deer's future behavior.

·
Banned
12,721 Posts
Yes, that is the method I use.

Some claim that then causes the deer to associate that area as being "dangerous". I don't buy into that at all - coyotes are everywhere and deer cross paths with them all the time, and I see no reason to believe that a coyote howl has any impact on a deer's future behavior.
Agreed. I listen to yotes making noise about every night seemingly all night long too where I hunt and we haven't noticed deer vacating the area.
I usually try to set my evening stands in areas where deer don't stay around too long before moving towards a destination food source. In cases where they are in the area I will usually just wait them out and usually have to take another route than planned to exit the area.

Sent from my LG-P769 using Ohub Campfire mobile app

·
Registered
5,860 Posts
I wait them out. Sometimes up to a half hour or so. I will never give up my spots. Then you will have them looking up every time they come near.

·
Registered
19 Posts
I try to wait them out too but some of my spots it gets really dark. Too dark to see so I just slowly lower my backpack and softly bounce it on the ground. It always scares them away and they don't seem to associate it with danger as I usually see the same deer the next time I hunt the spot.

·
Registered
3,227 Posts
I try to wait them out too but some of my spots it gets really dark. Too dark to see so I just slowly lower my backpack and softly bounce it on the ground. It always scares them away and they don't seem to associate it with danger as I usually see the same deer the next time I hunt the spot.
Could just gat a flash light:confused:

·
Registered
3,270 Posts
I just climb down and walk out. Almost every time they just stand there and watch me, then let me walk by, sometimes within a few yards of them.

If the smart ones bolt, then fine, more room for the dumb ones. :lol:

·
Hunter gatherer
8,763 Posts
Bunch of tricks we've used over the years, hunting from all different kinds of stands and distances to the deer groups, for gun or bow.
All worked but sometimes they don't scatter far enough away.
After a few times they get used to each one so we varied the technique.

This is my easiest and I've used it three times already this season when they're under my apple trees.
I made a second one now cause they didn't go far enough the third night
Fill a pop can about 1/4 full of small rocks.
Tape the hole with duct tape and raise the pull tab perpendicular.
Hang the can within easy reach on a smooth twig through the pull tab hole. When ready to leave...
Slide it off the twig carefully and with three fingers under the base, loft it to the center of the deer group.
Practice your toss a few times while on the ground so as to not rattle the can until it hits.

This gives greater distance, Run a line from the blind over limbs, through the trees, and away from your exit area.
Hang a vinyl or cloth tote bag with a drawstring from the end of the line.
Fill the bag with cans and rocks...then set it on the ground.
Slowly pull in the slack on the line to raise the bag, release the line and the bag rattles when it hits the ground.
I got real sophisticated on one of my wife's box blinds.
Ran the line from inside her blind, through pulley's and a screen door spring return, to really crank the sound 40 yards away in the opposite direction...now they look and look that way, instead of at her. LOL.

Even more distance
Another trick we used was an alarm clock.
Place it out in the deer area and set it to go off 15-20 minutes or so after shooting hour.

Another,
We left an old walkie talkie out under a tree. Set the volume high and squelched pretty high also. Keep the second one in your coat pocket.
Push transmit and blow in it a few times and they scatter.

The electronic ingenuity came from hunting this one property 1/2 mile long with 5-6 randomly used escape trails going through it and across the road...
With only 2 guys it seemed we were never overlooking the right trail.
We could see them cross way out of range down the road or saw tracks later.
We finally got the bright idea to set up a couple transistor radios on the unmanned trails.
Tuned them to morning talk show chatter...predictably, the deer didn't use those trails, came through ours instead.:D
Neighbor and wives laughed at the time, but it worked three years in a row until we moved to different property.

·
Hunter gatherer
8,763 Posts
From my other post you can tell we're always looking for ideas.
Well, here's the epitome of exit techniques...maybe, :D
Went with the wife looking for books at the Salvation Army store @ John R and Auburn Rd in Rochester Hills. Roamed in back and :idea:, lookie here...A wireless whoopee cushion!!! The high tech whoopee cushion is here.
Various tones, some sound like buck snorts, :lol:, Put it in a plastic grocery bag for weather protection. We'll see how it works just watching out the window before I trust it in the woods, :lol:

BTW, they're $2.00, must have a hundred or so around the store, maybe check other stores to see if it's widely available... heck. besides the fun, the 9V and AAA batteries included are worth $2.00.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts