Michigan Sportsman Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
454 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How do I disconnect the steering cable at the wheel. I need to remove my helm and I know nothing about the steering to disconnect it. I dont want to mess it up. It is a Teleflex roatary system with some sort of pin release under the dash. Help?

Wayne

·
Registered
324 Posts
For my system you have:
1. Take the steering wheel off, there should be a 3/4" nut right in the middle, it could be under a cap
2. There is two screws that hold on a protective cover. Take the cover off. The cover is just for looks and to protect the steering rod.
3. After that cover is off you should now see an outside plate that holds the steering rod in place, it also supports the whole gear assembly, There should be three screws...

4. Thats it for my teleflex system, Let me know how you did

·
Registered
2,236 Posts
After the pin is removed, turn the wheel and it should push the cable out. (Can't remember which direction to turn.) You may need to gently pull the cable away to direct the slack.

Do we have a new autopilot going in????

·
Registered
454 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Tim,

Already have the auto pilot I have a broken rib in the bottom of the boat and a crack that needs welding so I have to remove the one piece floor. What a pain. The helm has to go because the floor needs to come up and past it. I am going to have to remove the cable though because I used a heavy grease to lube it and now the cable has too much resistance for the auto pilot and it shuts off. I had a 10 year hull warranty that expired prematurely when the company went bankrupt. At least I get to see how my boat is put together.

thanks again.

Wayne

·
Registered
4,161 Posts
Tim had it right. Pull the pin(usually a cotter pin)(I think some originals may have a button that needs to be pushed in by the pin hole) in the lower corner of the rotary unit, then just spin the wheel til the cable pushes out.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts