Michigan Sportsman Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Banned
161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What is the #1 thing that changed for you this year after learning of CWD being found in the state and consequently baiting was banned. Your answer could deal with just CWD, just the baiting ban or both in conjunction. Some of you may say that you aren't going to hunt Kent county. Some may even be looking at selling your place in that area. I haven't heard of anything that drastic, but there may be people considering it if more deer test positive.

My answer:
Because of the information I have gleaned on this site I have instituted many habitat changes on the property I have access to hunt. But because of the CWD story I have expedited them this year. The #1 thing that changed for me this year after the CWD announcement is that I bought 2 pear trees to plant this fall instead of waiting until next year.

·
Registered
775 Posts
It won't change a thing! And there's no need for me to change a thing. And hell, I may actually see more deer on natural patterns for a change!

·
Registered
8,002 Posts
i am not concerned with myself as far as planning, techniques, etc. i just hope the deer herd is as safe and healthy as possible with this CWD disease in our state.

many people will have to change, due to the implemented baiting laws, but for the most part, i don't think too many people will choose to NOT hunt because of the recent issues.

also, i think that the state should seek some kind of reimbursement to farmers and retailers that are going to lose out big time because of lack of sales with bait.

i don't bait, but i don't chastize those that do. i think it will all work out for everyone, as long as we do what we can as individual hunters/sportsmen(and women) to keep our hunting heritage alive and well in Michigan.

:fish:

·
Registered
15,404 Posts
I quit baiting a while back so that wont affect me. So far My season is looking up as our farm has many apples and oaks. Been seeing alot of activity in these areas. I wont go into detail here, I just started a thread on it.

Arcticcatman, Ever look into the hybrid oak trees, suposedly these trees can start producing acorns in as little as 4 years. I,ve also seen apple trees advertise early production. All small fruit trees need shelter from rabbits and deer browse.

·
Registered
76 Posts
It won't change a thing! And there's no need for me to change a thing. And hell, I may actually see more deer on natural patterns for a change!
Ditto! Absolutely positively nothing will change in the way I hunt this year. I expect to see the same amount of deer as I would if baiting were legal. I hunt strictly farm land, baiting is a waste of time and money around here.

·
Banned
161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I quit baiting a while back so that wont affect me. So far My season is looking up as our farm has many apples and oaks. Been seeing alot of activity in these areas. I wont go into detail here, I just started a thread on it.

Arcticcatman, Ever look into the hybrid oak trees, suposedly these trees can start producing acorns in as little as 4 years. I,ve also seen apple trees advertise early production. All small fruit trees need shelter from rabbits and deer browse.
I've got beechnut trees and many oaks on the property I hunt. I added 5 apple trees, 10 elderberry, 10 dogwood and 10 hazelnut trees. I was going to wait until next year to put in my pear trees, but A place near me had them on sale so I picked them up and will put the in either today or tomorrow. I put soap on my trees and coorigated plastic around the trunk in the winter time and it has worked good so far. Thanks for the suggestions.

·
Premium Member
4,958 Posts
Nothing will change for me.
Maybe my mindset I guess.

·
Registered
544 Posts
I going to hunt around home instead of going up north every or every other weekend to hunt. ill just hunt down state till gun season and muzzel loader season then stay for a week. man, im going to save lots of money this year with no bait and gas for a 2 hour drive up north :lol:

·
Banned
161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Nothing will change for me.
Maybe my mindset I guess.
If they found CWD in a free roaming deer you would be able to hear a pin drop. We would all be in a serious mind set in a matter of seconds although the CWD issue will be on guy's minds this fall even if they don't find another CWD positive deer.

·
Registered
2,552 Posts
Nothing will change for me. I have hunted public land in Oscoda Co. for the past 21 years. We have never baited. When the baiting ban took effect in that area because of TB we still found many bait piles every year. I believe there will still be many bait piles.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Bowslayer with all the bait out at the roadside for many hunters:

It won't change a thing! And there's no need to change a thing. And hell, I may actually see more deer....

Its going to work both ways this year.:coco:

·
Registered
1,878 Posts
I was baiting on occassion but mostly when my daughter was going to be able to go into the field. I wanted to up her chances of seeing deer, this year or so it seems I will have some extra time on my hands! I am hunting on new property this year so I put in some long scouting hours scouring the property. I put the trail cam to use, scouted on the deer runways and located the big oaks for the acorns which, I noticed are starting to fall. I can not wait to get out there!!

·
Premium Member
5,604 Posts
I have to check my deer and my doe tags are only $3:D From a hunting perspective the only real change is I'm going to take a more aggressive approach to killing does than I have in the past.

·
Registered
241 Posts
i am excited about the baiting ban for the fact that was stated above, which was there very well could be more action on the natural food lands.. my hunting spot has sooo many acorn trees that you literally cant help but get hit in the head everytime you go there! it is a county park so of course there are alot of other hunters, most of which use bait piles.. this year i should see alot more action in my neck of the woods as those bait piles will not be put out.. so needless to say i am excited!

·
Registered
20,914 Posts
I have never baited, so no change there. Our deer camp area will be unaffected as nobody ever baited within a few miles. Other areas where I hunt will have to be rescouted because the movements will change, I like scouting anyways. This is all Roscommon county stateland

·
Registered
379 Posts
Instead of waiting until Dec. to harvest a doe or two, I plan on gittin er done in Sept. The last few years I've committed to not shooting 1.5yr bucks, so with meat in the freezer early, we'll be eatin good until big boy shows up.

·
Registered
15,867 Posts
I'm going to try to get even more time to hunt. This may be the best season of hunting ever.

·
Registered
2,131 Posts
I think I will be dedicating a little more time to small lot private land deer this year.......mainly because I am thinking I really wanna fill all of my doe tags I can get this year......my part for the wellness of the herd......I still will be hunting stateland mostly. I did also see a 13 point non typical up the road in an alpha field and it just so happens that a buddy of mine has family that owns the surrounding woods......So I asked him to ask if I could hunt it and just like that im in.....also my cousin owns some sweet property in Metamora horse farm country.......Im in there too.....neither him or his wife hunt......There are WAY to many does around there.....they seriously bed right next to his driveway.....I am gonna take my 10 yr old cousin over there with me for the early doe so he can see some good action....And I already put in about 2 acres of new clover and brasicas at my Dads plus a new shooting shack and they neighbor just planted 2 field of winter wheat across the road........I also think it may be the best year ever for me!!!!

1 - 20 of 21 Posts