Michigan Sportsman Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ive had a trail cam out since June in several hunting spots. Daily I have a handful of does, fawns, and button bucks. Ive seen 3 larger bucks come in together only once throughout the past couple months. Is it common to only see the bucks only once or twice rather than the does? Or should I start to change up my tatics? I know its a plus to have the does but just seeing what everyones opinion is here. What would you guys do here? Thanks

·
Registered
936 Posts
I have had a trail cam out for two months now, I have some doe and fawns that are in front of my cam like clock work every day. All of the bucks I have on cam I have only seen twice in that time frame. I think the bucks tend to stay in the corn and swamp land with more cover more often than being out where we set out cams... Just my 2cents

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Ive seen bucks during rut that I have never seen on a trail cam or in person. You must be right about them hanging out in the swamps and in heavy cover. Thanks for your input Hunting18. Hopefully some urine and grunts during the rut with bring them back around.

·
Registered
5,202 Posts
I have been using cams for a long time now and to be honest 80% of the bucks I killed I haven't got on cam. So don't take to heart what you see in the summer because most bucks seen in summer months move to their fall range. What I do like about the cams is it gives me inventory of the herd you have and the amount of doe's on the property. If you have a lot of doe expect to see good buck movement rut time and feel free to take a doe or two during the early season. This is just my opinion of course and im no expert, just a hunter.

·
Registered
19,201 Posts
Keep in mind your cam is only covering a small sliver of the area you hunt. Not all deer will walk in front of it. If you have does sooner or later the bucks will come if they aren't already near by.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for putting me in high hopes haha. I was starting to feel down about not seeing anything. I plan on taking an early doe and they waiting for a buck during rut. Ive hunted many years and know alot, but this was the first year seeing 2 or 3 bucks at the same time then never again, I was a tad confused. I have composed all my image times on my cams into an excel doc to record the peak times they come in. Pretty cool to see the results and when I can be expecting them while out hunting.

·
Registered
163 Posts
Stay positive I am in the same boat. I run cameras all year long. When the summer started the bucks disappeared to their summer range. More park like woods settings and fields with less bugs. I shined a few country blocks around my hunting area and seen some nice bachelor groups.

Recently in last couple weeks the bachelor group has been very close to my field edge camera but it has not got a picture yet. The land owners have pictures off their back deck where the group of 7 bucks are 30 yards from getting on my camera. Very tall and wide racks on 3 of the 7 but one looks very big. They took blurry camera pictures from a distance and you can see the general height and width.

So, even though you have no photos, there could still be something very close you are just missing. I am hunting the edge of a field traveled a lot and also have a shot into the woods to a small staging area kill plot I put in. Cameras are 30 yards apart, field edge getting 400+ pictures a week and the camera in woods 50. Soon as it cools, and the bugs die down they will move into the thicker woods for security.

You have does, so you will have bucks interested in paying them a visit. Keep the does happy. When the rut starts anything is possible. I just got my first decent buck picture last Sunday at one location. Probably not a shooter but enough to get the blood pumping. Good luck!

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Great response Sustainable. Glad to hear you are getting lots of activity and hearing of many bucks in your area, thats always gets ya excited for season to start. Also thanks for the information and I can see what your talking about. I am surrounded by swamps, thick woods, dried swamps etc and unfortunately state land on one side of the property, found out a couple people are putting stands up on state land right at the property line. Cannot really do anything about this but still always high hopes. Im assuming the bucks are staying in the swamps and thick woods right now, and not really starting to roam until rut starts to kick in. Good luck during the season and hope to get a big one!

·
Registered
2,856 Posts
It seems every year we have one or two bucks that show up only once or twice. I'll get pictures of the entire group that we know they're running with but not them. I know they're around but seem to be as elusive on camera as they are in person. This year there are two 10 pts that the neighbor watches in a field we have a camera on. All the other bucks are on camera quite a bit. We have only 2 pictures of 1 of the them since June. We also get different bucks in November that we don't see all summer and summer bucks that disappear completely. We typically run between 6-10 cameras on about 100 acres. A few are roamers and a few are in the same spot year after year.

·
Registered
4,861 Posts
I usually get a few pictures of bucks in the summer but I don't really get pictures of bucks that I shoot until late September or October. This is probably because I stay out of the areas I hunt and only run cameras on the fringes of where I'm expecting to hunt. Of the dozens of trails or access areas to where I hunt I cover maybe 2 trails to just get an idea of the movement.

Don't be disappointed. About 5-6 weeks from now the game all changes. Just minimize your impact on your ground until then and you should do well if you feel you have good setups.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts