Michigan Sportsman Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2,357 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Most concealed carry buddies or acquaintances shoot maybe once a month. I was surprised! If you shoot often what are you shooting that is affordable to shoot that often. This will help me in deciding on my first carry gun tremendously!

Posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire

·
cold, dead hands ......
6,198 Posts
I'm lucky in that I can shoot in my back yard - I probably average once a week during coldest 3 months and 2-3 times the other 9 months. However that may only be 10 or 20 rounds. Not uncommon though to fire off a few hundred when the weather is nice.

All that being said, ammo costs are a big concern. Because of that I shoot a lot of .22's these days. Of the most popular CC calibers (.380, .357/.38, 9mm, .40, .45, .44), 9mm is the cheapest for sure. I own all of these options but if I had to start over and choose one, it would be a 9mm in a semi-auto or a revolver that would shoot both .38 and .357.

·
Registered
7,002 Posts
We are once a month or so ourselves. Ammo cost and range availability and costs factor in.

Reminds though, a great video for the one box workout:

With ammo running ~$15-25/box of 50 for most guns now (9mm to 45), shooting more than a box or two a month can put a dent in some folks' budgets. Have a 45 and shoot 50 rounds per week? That can run upwards of $80-100/mo.

Some folks just plink, then others could use their time more effectively. My wife and I only load 5 rounds per mag ourselves to make ammo stretch further. We'll load 6 for double tap drills.

·
Registered
10,030 Posts
Once a week, 75-150 rds per shoot depending on what I am shooting that week..........................

·
Super Moderator
37,742 Posts
Minimum of Weekly. Minimum of 1,000 rounds of 9mm per month, plus whatever.

If you shoot often what are you shooting that is affordable to shoot that often.
Hey, it's cheaper than the bar or taking the wife to a nice dinner every week....... We just shoot. :)

·
Registered
2,449 Posts
I shoot both a 9mm and a 45. Mostly 9mm though. During the summer I shoot once a week for a minimum of 50 up to 100 rounds in a IDPA style league. In the winter I shoot once a month on the same outdoor range. I shoot reloads and my cost is under $10 a box for both 9 & 45

Carry time for me is limited due to my job being 6 days a week 10 hour days.

·
Registered
231 Posts
This time of year due to available daylight after work only 2 or 3 times a week. Frequency increases as the days get longer until DST gets here then I can shoot nearly everyday.

Typically 1 - 3 shots per day rarely exceeding 15 with a handgun.

Reloading help keep costs down.

·
Registered
2,407 Posts
Make sure you find a gun that fits your hands well. If it doesn't, the calibre won't matter because you won't like shooting it.

·
Registered
4,720 Posts
Everyday. Being in the sticks has its' perks.

Open slider door, insure muzzle extends past the door frame, (usually) aim over the deck railing (!!!) to stand up target stands at 7, 15, and 25 yards, and have fun. Everything from my lowly 22mag derringer and 22lr autos up through the .380, 40, and then my newer 45LC. Rifles get their share too, 22lr's up through the AR in 5.56 and the Mini 30. Shotguns get their workout put not has much as everything else. No safe queens here. It's a daily thing, at least one lucky winner a day ! (Picking up brass has become a chore at times I'll admit)

·
Registered
9,769 Posts
I'm pretty new to handgun shooting so I still have a lot to learn. I just bought a Daisy BB Gun to try to learn to shoot with both eyes open. Right now accuracy is not my #1 concern. Training my eyes seems to me to be more important. Besides being cross-dominant (right hand/left eye) I'm also trying to see through a dominant eye that had a torn retina a year ago. Most of the floaters are gone but I can tell that the vitreous liquid in my eye has not completely cleared yet, if ever. Reusable BBs are a lot cheaper than 38 specials, .357s or 22LRs.

·
Registered
810 Posts
I shoot my XD40 and my Ruger Mark II weekly. About 100 rounds each.

The XD40 is a carry weapon, so I want to stay sharp.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts