Michigan Sportsman Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,249 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm starting to wonder about my dogs water intake this winter. I have a male beagle, just under 3 yo, gets lots of exercise, 28 lbs with almost no fat. In door dog. Had his vet check up in July. He's never drank a lot, depending on the weather but this winter he's only drinking 1 /12 to 2 cups a day max. He goes all day with out drinking anything until he eats around 4 pm then will drink a couple times in the evening. My concern is dehydration while hunting. We go short trips, 2-3 hrs chasing rabbits and I always have water with me which he usually won't touch until we're back in the truck. Any input before I call the vet and hear " bring him in " is appreciated

·
Registered
645 Posts
I think your dog will drink if thirsty. Let him be the judge. Just offer it to him often, as you have been.

·
Registered
1,006 Posts
My Beagle also drinks very little. She seems healthy.

·
Registered
3,837 Posts
I run the opposite end of the spectrum- Doc, my ES, until a couple weeks ago would drink any amount of water you put in front of him- Now he paces himself :)

·
Registered
1,249 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
No toilet drinking, lids are down. He acts fine, I just thought it strange 20 hrs or so without drinking every day.

·
Registered
5,465 Posts
My dog doesn't drink that much when it is cold even if he is running. I just assume they don't lose that much water during exercise in the winter and that he will drink when he needs it.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts