Michigan-Sportsman.com banner

1 - 20 of 75 Posts

·
Registered
1,554 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I have never had a winter like this where I have only cleared snow once so far. New Year’s Eve I cleared the driveway with my big tractor but haven’t blown a bit with old faithful which I have owned since ‘84. I could have left the snow I cleared and it would have melted but I just couldn’t wait. How about you guys up north? How many times have you cleared snow? (I am in west Michigan) I bet Capper hasn’t had to worry . Snow plow guys that have a seasonal contact rather than per push are making bank. I just hope that we get some frost in the ground.ATTACH=full]481577[/ATTACH]

Attachments

·
Registered
3,028 Posts
Season to date from today's The Mining Journal is 95.5". I haven't blown out in about a week, but I should have last Sunday. 4WD helps.

·
Registered
14,613 Posts
I have never had a winter like this where I have only cleared snow once so far. New Year’s Eve I cleared the driveway with my big tractor but haven’t blown a bit with old faithful which I have owned since ‘84. I could have left the snow I cleared and it would have melted but I just couldn’t wait. How about you guys up north? How many times have you cleared snow? (I am in west Michigan) I bet Capper hasn’t had to worry . Snow plow guys that have a seasonal contact rather than per push are making bank.ATTACH=full]481577[/ATTACH]
Nice snow mover. Aside from shoveling some walking space back in early November, I have not had to clear the driveway yet. Sat in the treestand during that storm. First time ever bowhunting with that type of whether. Figured this winter would be rough.

·
Registered
1,554 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I have always said that a hard winter helps the local economy. It forces people to spend money on snowblowers, salt, snow removal and many other things. A hard winter helps the economy. Oh yea, I do have a body shop.

·
Registered
3,028 Posts
I want to do the simple things like take my son ice fishing and sledding and build a snowman. This weather blowz
What weather are you having? Too much, or too little snow?

·
Registered
35,298 Posts
Between camp and home 5’ to 6’ of snow have been moved. 3 more weeks until midwinter. I’ve roof raked once but really didn’t need to. Snow won’t be the issue this winter but spring clean up at camp is going to be real bad. Trees and branches are down everywhere, the storm 2 weeks left a good portion of the county a disaster zone.

I’ll be plowing in the morning, 2” out there right now with more overnight.

Reactions: BILC

·
Registered
3,028 Posts
Basically none. I literally have shoveled one time and it was just before rifle opener. There has been nothing to shovel since. Precipitation has been rain. Temps have been in 40s to 50.
That's just not fair. I hate winter, but at least one should be able to count on it happening.

·
Registered
35,298 Posts
Actual snow cover but there will be a lot more by tomorrow not.

20D7A045-3272-46FE-B255-E7F4D9CF0D2C.jpeg

·
Registered
1,221 Posts
Similar to everyone in Southern Michigan....

North of Chicago we had 3" on Halloween. 3" around November 5th. I believe November was record cold and all lakes had 4-12" of ice on them.

Warm since December 1st. All lakes open now. Only 1" around New Years, and 2" this week.

·
Registered
2,668 Posts
Drifts to about 18 inches the first time, and drifts to about 6 inches the second time.
I think the rainfall has surpassed the snow this year.
I really don't miss the snow but it would be nice to be able to ice fish for a couple months.

·
Registered
3,028 Posts

·
Registered
1,950 Posts
We've had about 6" on the ground a couple times but I've just let it melt. I plow with my quad and can't push up big banks like you can with a truck and during a hard winter you can run out of room to push the snow so if I think it's going to melt I just leave it.

1 - 20 of 75 Posts