Michigan Sportsman Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
382 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm looking to get a trigger tuned to a lower lbs. I have a Savage rifle .30-06 w/out the accutrigger. I'm looking toget this done soon and don't want to get ripped off. Any suggestions on a gunsmith would be great too. Thanks.

·
Registered
2,295 Posts
Not familiar with the Savage but expect $50 - $100 is typical for trigger work on rifles depending.

·
Registered
316 Posts
I would recommedn just having an aftermarket trigger installed rather than fuss with the savage oringinal...
having a nice timney trigger installed should run about $100.00
check with silver bullet, I would do it for you but I'm about 45 minutes away from you.

·
Registered
382 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Is it hard to do it yourself? I've never tried working on a gun but I am a machinist and tinker with things all the time. I'll try looking it up on the net. Thanks guys.

·
Registered
316 Posts
not really....only takes a little while, should come with intructions, if not you can find them on the net, only part thats usually considered "skilled" is adjustment, and that really isnt that bad either with a timney.

·
Registered
6,585 Posts
Corona said:
Is it hard to do it yourself? I've never tried working on a gun but I am a machinist and tinker with things all the time. I'll try looking it up on the net. Thanks guys.
Not really. I just takes time. I wouldn't make more than a 1/4" adjustment at a time. Go slow. Take your time. Don't forget where you started at.

·
Registered
2,714 Posts
there's nothing wrong with the original savage trigger - search the web and you'll find how to tune it.

all trigger adjustments should be tested for impact. that is, with the gun cocked (unloaded), either rap hard on the butt of the stock, or as i like to do, drop the gun from about 12" so it hits the butt of the stock on the floor, and make sure that it doesn't fire. repeat a few times to make sure.

where i live, anything over $40 for trigger work would be expensive - either tuning or replacing.

·
Registered
348 Posts
Put a timmney in it and you won't regret it. I installed one for a freind, really simple job.
Oaks:

1 - 9 of 9 Posts