Michigan-Sportsman.com banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
253 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i got a five point this morning as you have probably read earlier. i would like to have a mount done of it. how much would a shoulder mount be. i was thinking of doing a european (spelling) type of mount with the skull and antlers but doing it different. i have never seen one done like the way im thinking. do a mount of the head like european style just the head and antlers but leave the hide on the head. no skull showing. how much do you think that would cost.

·
Registered
4,354 Posts
I have never seen a mount like that and I do not know if it is possible. You see, the taxidermist has to skin the head, have the cape tanned and then he mounts it on a plastic form with class eyes and screws the antlers on with a small part of the scull (thats the short version).
A euro mount is where all of the hide and brain and membrane are removed from the scull.
So basically you are describing a common shoulder mount using the original skull and cape. I don't think this is the most practical way to preserve your trophy.
A good shoulder mount is gunna be in the range of $400. I'm not sure how much for a euro.

·
Registered
188 Posts
My european mount cost me $120 from Mark Esch st Wildlife Reflections in Dewitt. If I remember right Mark charges $380 for a shoulder mount. My antler mount from my elk cost me $120.

Brett

·
Registered
253 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
thanks guys maybe i will just do a traditional ueropeanan mount(spelling). do the taxidermist want the money up front or paid when the job is done if they want it when the job is done then i will propably go for the shoulder mount

·
Registered
4,354 Posts
most taxi's want some $'s up front. Maybe $100. You should do a shoulder mount if you can. I really wish I did my first deer.

·
Registered
1,003 Posts
Brian where in Michigan are you? I could help ya with a Euro mount if you are anywhere near Fowlerville? Or I could just tell you how to do it yourself - it is pretty simple although there are a few tricks to make it easier. Save the 100 - 150 and do it yourself.

If ya go with the shoulder mount do your homework and spend what it takes to get it done. If you spend 400 instead of 300 the 100 extra will be nothing over a lifetime. If you cut a corner to save a buck you and it looks like [email protected]%* in a couple years you will regret in for sure.

Bob Urban

1 - 11 of 11 Posts