Michigan-Sportsman.com banner

How long have you been hunting with your favorite shotgun or rifle?

• 1st Year

Votes: 11 8.3%
  • Less than 5 Years

Votes: 19 14.3%
  • Less than 10 Years

Votes: 32 24.1%
  • Less than 20 Years

Votes: 33 24.8%
  • Less than 30 Years

Votes: 16 12.0%
  • Greater than 30 Years

Votes: 22 16.5%
1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
906 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I always find it interesting how long hunters have been holding onto and using their favorite rifle or shotgun for whitetail hunting. I bought my Remington model 660 308 when I was 18. I'm now 49 and have used it faithfully every year. How about you?

·
Registered
2,898 Posts
Bought mu Remington 870 Wingmaster back in 1978,got a slug barrel for it then too and used it up untill 2 years ago. Due to trouble with my neck and related surgerys I had to give it up for a muzzle loader so the kick isn't as bad. Now my son uses it.

·
Registered
222 Posts
got my marlin 30-30 back in 1988...

my dad still uses his 303 savage rifle...handed down and i honestly don't know how old it is....

·
Registered
1,640 Posts
My Dad gave me his 30-06 some years ago. He got it during WWII. I took down an 8 point with it two years ago.

·
Registered
247 Posts
I just got into gun hunting about 6 years ago and borrowed a gun for the first 2 years. I finally broke down and bought a 300 Win Mag Savage and have been using it for the past 4 years and plan on many more.

-Dennis

·
Premium Member
7,379 Posts
my grandfathers winchester 32 spcl when he couldn't hunt any more - If I remember that was in 1968/9 - I have been using it ever sence - so I guess I'm in the 'greater than 30' catagory :)

ferg....

·
Registered
550 Posts
My 30-06 was handcrafted to fit my father in 1962. A present to him from my mother. I was born in 1967. My father always told me that it was my gun when I was man enough to handle it. I felt like I should have it when I turned 19, but decided to let the old man keep hunting with it for a while. At 22, I had my final bad experience with my other 30-06 on opening day so I walked to his blind right then and took it from him. I've had it ever since. I shot it again a few days ago at the range to double check the scope and put 5 holes inside a 3" circle at 100 yards. My father used to shoot the nails out of the targets with it. I am not sure if I have ever seen the scope caps come off in my lifetime. It is an awesome gun. It's an anchor.....but it means a great deal to me. I have two sons that would be in line to get it next, but it will be a while before I am willing to give it up. :)

·
Premium Member
8,018 Posts
I bought my model 100 from my cousin in the mid 60's. I could bust catsup bottles off hand at 75 yards when I first bought it. I have worn out a couple slings lugging it around the woods over the years. I killed three bucks in there beds with it back when I could walk all day with out seeing a no trespassing sign.

·
Registered
66 Posts
My first rifle was bought new for me by my father in 1979. The good old Marlin 336 30-30. I have used it every year since. It was his gift to me after passing my hunter safety course. This rifle will never leave me unless I hand it down to my son or grandson. Too much sentimental value I guess.

TR

·
Registered
463 Posts
I bought my Ruger M77 in 7mm Mag with a 2-7 Leupold scope new in 1977. Have never had to adjust the scope since then.
It's been out west and to Canada several times. Plus Michigan deer hunting every year except one. It's a tack driver for sure.

·
Registered
65 Posts
I bought an 870 wingmaster in 1967 and have been using it ever since. In 1970 I bought a slug barrel for it. In 1977 I bought a Weaver mount and 2.5 x scope. I have shot over 100 deer with this gun. My kids call it "THE TERMINATER". Well this summer I got a sweet deal on an 1187 SP with a cantilever slug barrel, scope & mounts, hardcase, sling and 8 boxes of sabots, all for $400.00, brand new never fired. I sighted the gun in and I'm really impressed with its accuracy and am going to let my youngest son use "THE TERMINATER". It will be the first time in over 35 years that I will use a new gun:( :( :( . Maybe it will see another 35 years with my son. I miss it already.

·
Registered
26 Posts
My Grandma decided she was no longer able to hunt after going with my dad and I for my first year of gun hunting. After shooting my first deer in the guts and liver with my dad's iron sight, model 94 30-30, she told me I could have her gun to hunt with from now on. I have used her Rem 742 30.06 ever since. And even though I now own an excellent piece of hunting property where I live, I am heading up to Grandma's for the opener. I was just asking myself why I would drive 3hrs to hunt over-populated state land, but writing this reminds me of why I am going. Good-luck this Saturday!

·
Registered
42 Posts
I've been using grandpa's 1955 Wichester Model 88 .308 (first year for that rifle) for the last 9-10 years, still in great shape. probably because it hadn't seen the light of day for 20 years before I dusted it off.

·
Registered
3,087 Posts
My model 870 wingmaster my dad bought it for me on my 14th birth day some 21 years ago. I've got the 30" full choke barrel, the 26" change out choke barrel and the slug barrel. It was seen the heat, rain, sleat and snow. It has taken my first duck, goose, rabbit, deer, and wood chuck.

·
Registered
1,820 Posts
I have semi retired my Grandpa's Ithica model 37 featherlight. I had been using it since 1985. No idea how long he used it, but it still works like its just broke in.

1 - 20 of 48 Posts