Michigan Sportsman Forum banner
1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Premium Member
637 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The recent post about the beagle that has something lodged in his stomach got me thinking after reading several people had pet insurance.

With the expected birth of my new Griffon only days away (Sunday will be 63 Days!!!!) and after shucking out $4000 + for a Tibial Plateau Leveling Osetotomy on another dog I got to thinking that maybe pet health insurance might not be a bad idea.

How many have it? How many USE it? How much are the premiums? Company Recommendations?

·
Premium Member
637 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
If no, why not? Cost?

We're the "our dogs are our kids" type couple, so we've got a little more disposable income to spend on the dogs, cats, and horses, but from looking at what I've see thus far, we'd be looking at the very least at about $200/year or more for the insurance - I was just at the Vet yesterday and wrote a check for $498:(:(:(:(, so I'm thinking that we'd get our money's worth.

·
Registered
107 Posts
We now have pet insurance and learned the hard way that it is a big benefit especially during puppy-hood. Most plans will not cover routine shots and vet visits but for the major stuff, I think it's great. For example, my GSP got sick with pneumonia at 5 months after being misdiagnosed by our regular vet. She was put on oxygen and spent two nights at the emergency clinic. $1800 all told. Without pet insurance, this was all paid out of pocket. With the plan we currently have below, our total out of pocket would have been $200 (deductible) plus $21/month = $242 all together for the pneumonia incident. Would have been well worth it. Obviously, we would have saved ~$1500.

PetPlan US ($21/month)

Veterinary fees, incl. medication, max per year: $20,000
Deductible: $200 per incident
Reimbursement: 100% if treated at regular vet, 70% if treated at a vet school or emergency hospital.

Other Benefits:
Boarding Kennel: $500 (if owner is hospitalized)
Advertising and Reward: $500 (if dog gets lost)
Loss due to Theft or Straying: $500
Death from Illness or Injury: purchase price of dog up to $1,000
Vacation Cancellation: $1,000 (due to illness of pet)

The following link is pretty good for comparing different pet health plans: Pet Insurance Review.

Hope this helps.

·
Registered
107 Posts
we'd be looking at the very least at about $200/year or more for the insurance - I was just at the Vet yesterday and wrote a check for $498:(:(:(:(, so I'm thinking that we'd get our money's worth.
Check the insurance plans very carefully to see what they cover. Most of our general vet visits are NOT covered by the insurance...only for major things that are not expected.

·
Registered
1,353 Posts
I don't but have often thought maybe a I should have. We had a stretch there about 7 years ago that I swear I could have paid for my vets renovations after they had a fire. About $4800 in vet bills spread over 4 years and 3 dogs. :dizzy: Since then it's been much more normal.

·
Registered
1,817 Posts
What a scam to take your money. Talk about ways to drive up the cost for going to the vets. Insurance co's always thinking of ways to make money from people. Oh quick edit- the dog is cheaper to replace then paying throught the nose on vet bills.

·
Registered
2,868 Posts
What a scam to take your money. Talk about ways to drive up the cost for going to the vets. Insurance co's always thinking of ways to make money from people. Oh quick edit- the dog is cheaper to replace then paying throught the nose on vet bills.
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Registered
2,868 Posts
Maybe your dog is cheaper to replace, but I feel mine are priceless!
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Registered
107 Posts
Absolutely, you could just let the dog die and then replace him/her. But I could never recoup all of the time and money I have spent training the dog to find birds for me. Therefore, I'll pay the $21/month, especially for a good dog. Not saying you have to get pet insurance...your money, your choice. I just don't think it's a complete scam in every situation.

·
Registered
8,154 Posts
My wife and I have had it for Georgia the last 5 years and we're ahead of the game so far. She's had a few health problems as she gotten older. The value of my dog is far greater than the price I pay to the vet for her medical care.

Elk5012 I feel sorry for you. All of the people that I've met that have the attitude that you do, came from an abusive home during their childhood. If everyone were to follow your logic we would never take our kids to the doctor after all its cheaper to make a new one.

·
Registered
1,817 Posts
Don't feel sorry for me. Feel sorry for the others that won't be able to pay the higher prices from going to the vets. The more people that buy into the insurance, the higher the vets bills will become and force many not to get their dogs treated. I've been around kennels for 30 years and I can treat alot of common injuries and illnesses myself.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Don't feel sorry for me. Feel sorry for the others that won't be able to pay the higher prices from going to the vets. The more people that buy into the insurance, the higher the vets bills will become and force many not to get their dogs treated. I've been around kennels for 30 years and I can treat alot of common injuries and illnesses myself.
This exemplifies the fact that you're missing the point on the purpose of pet insurance and you probably haven't done any research on what it covers and how it's paid out. Of course you can treat a lot of common injuries and illnesses yourself. Congratulations, so can the rest of us.

Pet insurance isn't for the cost of regular vet visits (vaccinations, etc). It is "insurance" in the fact that if something major occurs costing a large sum of money, you aren't going to be stuck with a big huge bill if you chose to save your dog. Windknot referenced this post regarding stomach blockages, etc. Are you telling me you can perform surgery on your dog to remove a stomach blockage? Is that what you consider a common injury or illness? If not, then your comments have little relevance to the proposed question.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Maybe a new Vet in the near future would be cheaper.
Absolutely. And it didn't seem relevant for me to mention but I have since resolved my emergency out of pocket bill with that vet. It still doesn't mean that the experience can't support my argument for pet insurance AND give Windknot some factual information to support my claim. Like all people, health care providers can make mistakes. I was lucky enough to have that vet own up to theirs. Others may not be so lucky and could be stuck trying to fight to get some money back.

Anyways, to each his own. I guess you have to make your own choices in regards to pet insurance.

·
Premium Member
637 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Maybe your dog is cheaper to replace, but I feel mine are priceless!
Posted via Mobile Device
:yeahthat::yeahthat:

I concur 100% - I feel the loss of a pet just as deeply as I do the loss of a family member....because that's exactly what they are. When I lose a pet, my extended family cries and feels badly as well - we integrate our animals into our lives 100% - You best not come to my house if you're not a "big dog person" or a cat lover or have an aversion to horse, dog, and cat hair!!!

·
Premium Member
637 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
francismcgee: THANK YOU. That is exactly the feedback I was hoping to find here when I posted this.

ih772: Glad to hear that Georgia has been able to reap the benefit of your foresight by getting her the insurance and therefore the care that she needed.

ELK5012:
Oh quick edit- the dog is cheaper to replace then paying throught the nose on vet bills.
You don't own a dog.....do you?

·
Registered
1,817 Posts
After reading my posts, only thing that I would apologize about would be the "scam" part. It's kinda sad that if the time came where there was a true emergency, that the vet bill would have to come into play whether or not the dog lives for me. I'm in for treating a dog, but over the years it has risen almost out of control. I'm not telling anyone not to get insurance, but it's a dog gone shame that one has to purchase insurance to have a dog treated today.
Yes I do own a dog now. Growing up we have had 3 AKC kennels in the family with more than 50 dogs. Mom had to give up due to rising vet bills.

·
Registered
3,717 Posts
Certainly Elk is a big boy and doesn't need me to defend him but, I am going to defend his position. I work in the medical industry. Insurance is the number one biggest reason costs are so high. When people don't have to pay for things out of "their pocket" they don't care what the cost is. That's why national healthcare will never work to reduce costs. So, the people that don't have insurance for their dogs end up paying a higher costs for their problems because the insurance company will eventually dictate how much they are going to pay for said procedure and cash people will have to make up the difference.

Now onto dogs. Certainly insurance will pay for itself in some instances but not in others. I had a knee injury to a dog last year $1,200 bucks. But, insuring 3 dogs isn't cheap either. My theory is if you can't afford to fix the dogs reasonable problems then maybe you shouldn't own a dog. Insurance companies don't make money by paying out tons and not bringing any in. Keep in mind, pre-existing conditions are not going to be covered. Keep in mind as the dog gets older the premiums go up.

I also won't spend an infinite amount of money on my dogs. I love them and will do what it takes to take care of them but, I'm not going to spend 5k on cancer treatment or if god forbid they are struck by a car. They are in fact animals and can be replaced. They are not children.

1 - 20 of 44 Posts