Michigan-Sportsman.com banner

41 - 60 of 62 Posts

·
Registered
3,892 Posts
Have you ever tried wild boar ? To me it is not edible
I believe the poster said "hog food." And yes, I've had wild boar, and it wasn't very good compared to the fat, soft, butterballs that are raised in US hog farms. Was it unpalatable? No. Did it taste like Kroger pork chops? No.

·
Registered
11,625 Posts
You coming? Untouched terrain? First descents?
I will be spending time in South America with my new gig. Already checked out resorts in Chile for my girl and I.
He had me at "powder"....
sorry its Chile, not Argentina but you still get the point. click linky for his company....follow chile links. I believe they took year off due to covid travel restrictions. https://www.burandtsbackcountryadventure.com/

·
Registered
5,755 Posts
I believe the poster said "hog food." And yes, I've had wild boar, and it wasn't very good compared to the fat, soft, butterballs that are raised in US hog farms. Was it unpalatable? No. Did it taste like Kroger pork chops? No.
Please feel free to correct me, however when I have had wild boar. It tasted like really bad tainted meat. I am guessing it was from testosterone ?? but to me...it was like really bad. I have had sow that was good IMO, I have had wild castrated boar that was good too if not better. People I know in Florida when they trap hog they castrate the boar and hold them in a pen...they also worm them. At times they let them free...but not often.

·
Registered
7,774 Posts
ive killed one after a long day of shooting hundreds of doves some oerdiz and a rabbit the size of a German short hair. Bird boys stayed up all night breaking it down and we ate it for breakfast the next day, was great. Oh, I also shot a parakeet off its nest that day when asked to by the single roomed dirt floor shack owner because it was ruining his garden.

·
Registered
11,625 Posts
I've skied in Chile/Argentina in August. Best skiing anywhere, best trip was 11 feet of powder in 3 days. The altitude kills you. Never went inland to chase birds unfortunately.
what a jerk. :p you shouldn't be allowed to consume so much fresh powder...what about everyone else?

·
Registered
925 Posts
I've skied in Chile/Argentina in August. Best skiing anywhere, best trip was 11 feet of powder in 3 days. The altitude kills you. Never went inland to chase birds unfortunately.
Were you at Valle Nevado?
My guys in Medellin told me La Parva is the place, if you have the huevos...

·
Premium Member
7,019 Posts
Yeah, this has been a good read!!!

Sure could appreciate the opportunity to feed a neighborhood.

I have indeed shot over 100 ducks in several of the years that I actually kept track. I never to this day wasted a duck unless it was sickly or had some reason to be a lost cause. I am certain that all these birds in South America get used. My uncle has attested to all his SA hunts. The value is in the numbers otherwise guys wouldn't drop 10 large.

To this day I use everything in a rotation from walleye to duck to deer. If I have more duck than I used by summer I pull it all and it goes to Lee's Market for making into snack sticks. The boy can live on it and does at times. We live on wild game at my house and other cultures fortunately do too.

We have so many hunters that our hunting world is not comparable to most other places in the world.

·
Registered
1,090 Posts
I used to catch salmon by the literal ton each year. None of it was wasted. Not that hard to give salmon away.

One Labor Day my wife and I and a buddy caught our 15 in the channel in about two hours, so we called my nephew and told him to bring friends and coolers and caught 15 more. And a 10.4# walleye. Had over 400# of fish that day. Do I feel guilty about it, nope. Plenty of slow days too so when the stars align I'm jumping on it.

Caught more salmon that day than I do in a season now. Grrrr
I’ve recently discovered the same with bluegill... not too hard to find a home!

Sent from my iPhone using Michigan Sportsman mobile app

41 - 60 of 62 Posts