Michigan-Sportsman.com banner

41 - 60 of 62 Posts

·
Registered
3,316 Posts
Cork Dust, once again your last paragraph derailed this conversation.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
As of yesterday, the United States, with approximately 4% of the population of the World has 20% of the total deaths suffered to-date from SARS CoV-2, as well as record unemployment. Apparently, one of us is comfortable with that statistic. NOW, we have our first coordinated national response plan. This too is a reality one of us finds noteworthy.

·
Registered
3,001 Posts
As of yesterday, the United States, with approximately 4% of the population of the World has 20% of the total deaths suffered to-date from SARS CoV-2, as well as record unemployment. Apparently, one of us is comfortable with that statistic. NOW, we have our first coordinated national response plan. This too is a reality one of us finds noteworthy.
That’s very informative. Some may agree or disagree with you if you pay your $20 and take it to the political forum where it belongs. In this thread it’s just a plain old pain in the ass & people are tired of all the political crap!
The thread title is “how many dipsies”, not “How many dip $hits”! Boy I’m tired of this political stuff! Moving on!

·
Registered
3,316 Posts
That’s very informative. Some may agree or disagree with you if you pay your $20 and take it to the political forum where it belongs. In this thread it’s just a plain old pain in the ass & people are tired of all the political crap!
The thread title is “how many dipsies”, not “How many dip $hits”! Boy I’m tired of this political stuff! Moving on!
Michigan has diverted significant internal resources to fighting this pandemic, both monetary and altered personnel responsibilities and actions: on CWD monitoring, habitat imrovement efforts for game and fish populations, the winter wolf count, egg taking operations, boat ramp access, Winter Deer Complex restoration efforts, GEMs expansion and fish and game enforcement, John, that is reality and it impacts resource management, whether it annoys you or not.

Now, be a good boy and go back to shouting at the rain!

·
Registered
4,684 Posts
Michigan has diverted significant internal resources to fighting this pandemic, both monetary and altered personnel responsibilities and actions: on CWD monitoring, habitat imrovement efforts for game and fish populations, the winter wolf count, egg taking operations, boat ramp access, Winter Deer Complex restoration efforts, GEMs expansion and fish and game enforcement, John, that is reality and it impacts resource management, whether it annoys you or not.

Now, be a good boy and go back to shouting at the rain!
Geez man, quit crying about your beloved natural resource. It appears everything in your life revolves around your agenda. Sometimes you sound like the conscience of everything associated with fish management. It appears you complain a lot but it falls on deaf ears.
The pandemic trumps everything else, especially those optional special interest endeavors held by some.
Sorry if I was hard on you, I'm frustrated! Is compromise part of your mentality?

·
Registered
1,642 Posts
Cork Dust, here is another perspective. 4 dipsies per boat period.

Covid numbers are faked and include pneumonia, old ageism, and car accidents.

Covid was a big money take for hospitals.

The DNR and all other government agencies used Covid as a written excuse to do nothing.

You are a sheep for peddling this crap.

There, that is another perspective, that you can work toward in your efforts to compromise.

·
Registered
138 Posts
Cork Dust, here is another perspective. 4 dipsies per boat period.

Covid numbers are faked and include pneumonia, old ageism, and car accidents.

Covid was a big money take for hospitals.

The DNR and all other government agencies used Covid as a written excuse to do nothing.

You are a sheep for peddling this crap.

There, that is another perspective, that you can work toward in your efforts to compromise.

You guys need to drop the non outdoors **** on here...
P.s. covid is not fake.. im 35 years old and on week 4 of covid. I spent 6 days in the hospital. 2 weeks on oxygen. Had blood clots in my lungs, kidney failure. 104 fever. It's a bitch. Just saying.

Sent from my SM-N981U using Michigan Sportsman mobile app

·
Registered
3,001 Posts
So is the consensus of the group I can run 6.5' low rods and 8.5' high rods if my rigger booms are 2' and I keep them at a 45? Do I need longer rods?
I think it comes down to personal choice. You definitely can catch fish with 6 1/2 foot rods ,I’m sure other people do it.personally I prefer at least an 8 foot rod,with the long lines out in my opinion it helps with long distance hook sets and fish control. But I’m sure someone else will be totally different that’s just been my experience.

·
Registered
3,534 Posts
So is the consensus of the group I can run 6.5' low rods and 8.5' high rods if my rigger booms are 2' and I keep them at a 45? Do I need longer rods?
Like John mentioned There is no doubt that you can. Personally I like the 8’s. It gives you a little more reach when setting the divers over and outside your riggers. It also provides a little extra give when fighting a fish especially on wire. I actually like shorter rigger rods which helps keep them down and out of the way. I use 8.6 rods on both high and low divers without issue. I just stagger the rod holders a bit.

·
Registered
1,642 Posts
Ha! A mild distraction there, now back on track.

I like 8’ inside lows and 9’6” outside high.

My first year I went with 7’6” lows and 8’5” highs. Worked fine.

My riggers are at a 45 degree. Diver rods are at 90 degrees.

·
Registered
116 Posts
I run 10' Diver rods on both my high and low diver with no issues just be careful on the turns ,my thought is both wire and braid have no stretch in them so the longer rods give you a little more forgiveness when a fish is on and sometimes you just need that little bit of help. IMHO

·
Registered
138 Posts
Just out of curiosity. What is the longest dipsey rod you have ever used/seen? Got my spread all put together over the weekend. Really like my wire diver set up. But its a 10' rod. If i want to run a fireline high diver. Has anyone ever seen an 11'

·
Registered
70 Posts
Who N ell would run a Mag Dipsey on 20# mono? Besides efficiency and the stretch in mono and what that would be like with 100 feet of line deployed, it's sounds like a good way to ensure plenty of divers fall to the bottom of the Great Lakes.

·
Registered
3,534 Posts
Just out of curiosity. What is the longest dipsey rod you have ever used/seen? Got my spread all put together over the weekend. Really like my wire diver set up. But its a 10' rod. If i want to run a fireline high diver. Has anyone ever seen an 11'

I run a smaller boat part of the year and the long rods really get in the way. If you've got the room it wouldn't hurt but there is a point where they are just too long to work with comfortably. (I know, I know, that's what she said.)

·
Registered
138 Posts
I run a smaller boat part of the year and the long rods really get in the way. If you've got the room it wouldn't hurt but there is a point where they are just too long to work with comfortably. (I know, I know, that's what she said.)
My boat is small enough. I see myself most of the time running 2 riggers.. 2 divers.. 2 boards... get a 3rd guy on the boat ill just add board rods. I just know there are times that diver rods really produce.
The rod storage on my boat is amazing. I have my 12 rod walleye rod spread in my bow locker, plus 4 leadcore and 2 jigging rods, i have 5 leadcore rods in my side locker.
If im going up north deep water fishing i plan to put the 12 walleye rods in the shed.. probably replace with 6-8 rods with big reels.

·
Registered
1,642 Posts

I’d switch those wire diver rods to 8’ (add Twili tips), and put braid on those 10 footers. I’d much rather run 4 divers than going with only 2 divers and two leadcores.

I keep good records of Chinook and Coho caught on lures and presentations, but not such a good job of diver vs DR vs leadcore. That will change this year.

·
Registered
138 Posts
I’d switch those wire diver rods to 8’ (add Twili tips), and put braid on those 10 footers. I’d much rather run 4 divers than going with only 2 divers and two leadcores.

I keep good records of Chinook and Coho caught on lures and presentations, but not such a good job of diver vs DR vs leadcore. That will change this year.

I found some 10'6 okuma diver rods... going to run fireline diver/ slide diver on those rods.. i want the longer rods. My traxstech riggers are set up to go off the side of the boat already. Try to keep everything spread farther out..

·
Registered
1,407 Posts
10 foot for the outside rod that is going to be farthest from the boat, (High Diver)

I like a 8 foot rod for the inside diver, as it gives me some clearance, from rod tips, and possible tangles.
& trust me, I have spent the time, getting tangle undone, and also just cut the line, and re rigged many times,

Hard part is finding EXACTLY what i am looking for, and will be building them rods I want.

OE

·
Registered
595 Posts
I have used my 7’ ugly Stick med. GX2 for diver rods and had no issues with Down Riggers at 45 degrees. FYI, These rods are not up to the task of salmon dipsey and would be like using a 6’ MH rod for clearance. My newest diver rods are 8’. Prefer shorter rods on my boat.

41 - 60 of 62 Posts