Michigan Sportsman Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
20,129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just trying to get a feel for what you guys think will be the best set-up this weekend? I'm from the school of "less is more", I've noticed the locals aren't really "bunched" up like usual, this time of year, mostly cause of the available water. I'm just wondering how many dekes will be in your spread this weekend. I'll be hunting a pothole, marsh that's still open.

·
Registered
3,696 Posts
we will probably put out at least 10 dozen on mother lines and then scatter out 2-3 dozen around the chase boat.

·
Registered
720 Posts
Layout hunting, we're throwing out everything we own this w/e.
I.M.O. "more is better" when it comes to divers.

Good luck to everyone and have a safe w/e.

·
Registered
386 Posts
We're hunting a flodded cornfield with mallards and geese already in it. I imagine we'll put out a doz mallard full bodies and probably the same # of goose decoys. If this weather holds steady, and we get the "predicted rain showers" on Saturday, this weekend should turn out to be good.
Good Luck!

·
Registered
7,757 Posts
Your right, the mallards are not in big wintering local flocks but thats due to water availibility I believe. I would look at 2 dozen in three groups, from the river ducks it looks like they are traveling in 5-8 numbers but where they feed I'm seeing big groups of 20 plus right together. Fields and layout hunting are as many as you have type of hunting. I still say as many as you can where it doesn't look to goofy, alot of the ducks will be big canadian mallards and they like to see lots of "friends" and like company, if local mallard hunting, I would use less dekes. Thats my spin, good luck.

·
Premium Member
5,662 Posts
I agree with both sides; less can be more & more the merrier
(I should be a politician! :p ) just to prove it... I'd say "it depends"!

but what I'd definitely say is less is more" when you're using very, very few dekes (like less than a dozen) - perfect for small open water or backwater sloughs/floodings for ducks and then for hard pounded local canadas. less is NOT more when you move from 4 doz to 2 doz. - now you look like all the other weekend warriors out there. BE DIFFERENT - that's the key.

More the merrier - definitely in field hunts. we'll throw the mother load out this weekend for our field hunt (24-27 dozen). here in SE at least, there's still plenty of migrators around and like the earlier post said, they like company. We want them to think- that section, that field , this spot is where it's happening to get a good feed on.

We also have another spot, a water hole (we aerate) that we'll stick 3 doz duck shells along the ice edge, 2 doz in the hole, doz BF floaters, 2 dozen GHG shells 1/2 w/ resting heads, 1/2 w/sleeper heads on the ice and then a dozen GHG Active pose fulls.

If I can remember to do so, I'll snap some pics of the rigs.

·
Registered
13,901 Posts
Question for you guys....are you finding the ducks are in the dry fields mid-day right now or back sitting on the water somewhere? I have a couple of open water river spots that I've scouted, but I'm not seeing many birds right now. I suspect they're out feeding. What times of day are you finding them feeding right now?

·
Registered
157 Posts
About 300 decoys will be along for the ride this weekend. We'll have two layouts and one shore spread set.:)

·
Registered
3,619 Posts
Holy **** branta what time do you start setting up decoys 2am ?
LOL Man thats a lot of decoys. The ducks remaining hear are just about in the same pattern they have always been in. They feed about 7 til 9am then again in the late afternoon. The set up field would depend on the wind direction. And ya there are some REALLY BIG canadian mallards here.

·
Registered
13,901 Posts
Mike L.
So you're thought is after 9 am or so then they're heading back to the water areas to rest? I was assuming that to be the case, but the spots that I scouted yesterday from 9 am to about 1 pm did not support that theory? Since I don't have access to any dry field hunting spots, I was going to hit the water spots where I know they typically come back to rest, and I was planning on mid-day. Just when I thought I'd figured these silly birds out, I'm completely in the fog.

·
Registered
3,619 Posts
Hmmmmmm ! In another post I have mentioned I'm going out tomarrow to see whats up. These Canadians will do things differant once and awhile. I have been gone to school out of state courtesy of the USPS so I havent been out and about. But there coming over the house feeder chuckling every morning and evening. Coming back in groups of 5 to 10 at about 4 to 5pm.
I'll checck em out, I want some of those big greenies !

·
Registered
386 Posts
J.D.
The mallards using our fields have been feeding from first light into mid morning. The geese, however, have been feeding in the evenings. (Seen 70+ geese in the field on Wed. evening). I thougt I had them figured out until yesterday. The cold morning must have delayed their feeding patterns. I'm praying for overcast and rain/mist on Saturday. Good Luck!

·
Registered
937 Posts
Mike L you mentioned "the setup field would depend on wind direction" are you saying that the direction they fly off the roost is determined by the wind. . . if so are they traveling down wind or up wind??

Geese seem quite predictable - going to the same field day after day regardless of the wind. Mallards I've had a hard time patterning, here one day not the next. I'm wondering if I'm not taking the wind direction into consideration?? Any thoughts on the matter is appreciated.

·
Registered
3,619 Posts
Yes that is exactley what I'm saying, the set up field will depend on the wind direction. The birds will quarter or fly into the wind to find a field to feed. (Example:) I hunt Fish point a lot ! Area 2 is on the far east side of the refuge, and I pretty much had this area to myself for quite awhile but the word is starting to get out.
If you have an east or southeast wind this area is very good. But any other direction and your lucky if you get a shot. North west to Northeast the area's in the low 20,s will score well. Thats how the ducks play the wind. The flight mallards rest out in the Bay, and depending on the wind thats the direction they will fly to find food. If you have for instance a dead south wind they will come directley over the refuge on there way out to the fields. Then banking left or right for there field of choice. Dead west wind ? Thats there primary direction, they then in turn just adjust to find a field. Years ago I use to live in wisner and allways loved a west wind, especially in the late season. That meant I didn't have to drive to find the ducks, I just waited in the cornfield for them to come to me. Last year I chased the ducks coming off of the bay all the way to gagetown before they sat down. The next day I was there ahead of them. Yeee Ha ! Now of course there are exceptions to the rule. If there feeding field is close they will fly any direction. Get out by fishpoint with Bino's and you will see a lot that yo won't see with the naked eye !

1 - 14 of 14 Posts